Skip to main content

Turner-round bright eyes




Back in 1984, I was working as a junior writer in the Prime Minister's Office when Pierre took the walk. We were all stunned, and many scattered to this candidate and that, betting their careers on who would become the next anointed leader.

Me, I was happy to ride out the leadership in Trudeau's PMO. I loved walking into the Langevin Building and sitting my pretty little ass down in the West Wing every morning right beside the RCMP detail. I had a good view of the changing of the guard and a few little fun projects to work on.

When John Turner decided to run for the leadership, I was excited. He seemed very handsome and charismatic -- what did I know, I was 25? -- until he approached the podium for the first time and I thought to myself: "Who is this old guy and why is he wearing old man pants?"

By old man pants, I mean the ones that button above the belly button. Also, JNT had sort of rheumy eyes, the kind you see on guys at the Martini Ranch who've had a few too many cocktails -- before lunch.

But I was willing to throw in with Turner, as I was still getting paid. (I never volunteered in politics and for that, I was dismissed as an opportunist, which was pretty much true.)

Anyway, during the election campaign, I landed a job in the correspondence unit working for the wonderful and scary Peggy Dillman. A crew of us had been hired because the former correspondence chief basically fired everyone on Trudeau's writing staff. So a crew of temps were cobbled together to answer Trudeau's backlogged mailbag and get the Liberal mail through the election.

The campaign was a complete embarrassment.

While there were a number of highly intelligent folks on the campaign, there were also plenty of self-righteous narcissistic boobs. Two people come to mind. One is now a retired Senator, the other later became the notorious baby mama to a former prime minister.

It also didn't help that there was bitterness between Chretien's camp and Turner which led to a great deal of infighting and confusion. At one point, both the Party office and the PMO were answering the same questionaires giving different answers.

What a bunch of maroons.

Turner's wife, the pompously named Gilles, didn't help things. She was high maintenance and had a tendency to bitch slap the staff. I knew we were doomed when my hairdresser, Fleming -- a haircutter to the political stars -- proclaimed that he had once thrown her out of his salon for being a nasty bitch.

Anyway, we all know the story. Turner. Patronage. Bumpatting. Inepitude. Yadda yadda.

The Liberals went down in flames and did not resurface for more than a decade.

Which leads me to my point, and I do have one.

Turner is urging everyone to get behind Justin Trudeau who he believes could save the Liberal Party from itself.

First, Turner must have dementia since he does not recall how anointing the "next thing" has gone for Liberals in the past. If we ignore our history, we are destined to make the same mistakes, and it's looking like the Liberals are once again pursuing Plan A.

Second, Turner was the worst leader the Liberals ever had except Stephane Dion.

Getting an endorsement from Turner is like accepting an indecent proposal from John Edwards.

If I were Trudeau, I'd order the guy another cocktail, pat him on the back, and tell him to mind his own business.

Pointe finale.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...