Skip to main content

The incredible shrinking ma'ams



Big news.
I'm about two weeks away from a new bra size.
First time in years I won't have to shop at Ottawa Tent and Awning.
The ma'ams are shrinking at last.
I'm an H right now, which has been wholly depressing for me.
When you're an H, you can't run. You can't bounce.
You can't flounce.
The tank top is not your friend.
But when you're back into the Ds, suddenly, you look, well, a bit hot.
(I can't understand how bra sizing works, but you can skip the E, F, and G and go straight to D. Go figure.)
My shirts are getting looser in the middle, too. No more need to suck it in.
It's all thanks to ma boy, Harley Pasternak and his 20 Days to Swimsuit Ready diet.
Okay, it's been about 60 days, but I'm old and I'll take it.
This weight loss is not because I go to the gym every day.
The bored trainers, they lie.
The carbs are what have been turning me into the Pillsbury Doughgirl.
The bad carbs!
I knew it.
Never trust the media.
And don't trust Weight Watchers or Dr. Oz.
You can't eat everything you want in small doses. That is bullshit.
And you can't burn it off like Bob Harper says. Who's the Biggest Loser now, Bob!
It's you my friend.
The Biggest Loser only said if I ate Subway I'd lose weight.
I live right next to a Subway and if I ate Subway every day -- even holding the mayo -- I'd be three hundred friggin' pounds.
Subway is all about carbs.
There is only one guy who speaks the truth, aside from my dear Harley, and that is Tony Grecco.
Tony Grecco is a trainer who says that 80 percent of weight loss is diet.
The last 20 percent is gravy.
That's why people lose weight walking around the block instead of pumping iron at the gym.
Physical activity helps sculpt and tone the body; it keeps the old ticker ticking.
But it doesn't help a hoot in weight loss.
That is what I know and what I'm telling you now.
Wish I'd known this a year and a half ago.
Not that I'm abandoning my exercise regime. I'm used to it. It makes me feel great. It keeps my plantar fasciitis at bay.
But the thinner me has perspective.
I can stop pounding it and start enjoying it.
Just have to pass on the bread and all that white stuff. Keep eating beans and whole grain rice.
Continue to glug smoothies and soups.
I can do it.
Yes I can.
Anything to lose the melons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...