Skip to main content

Happy birthday, Canada! And to you Rosalita, comatose over in the corner



On Sunday, Canadians everywhere will be celebrating this nation's birthday.
Or will it be on Monday?
Nobody is really sure.
I'll be celebrating on Monday, as it is the official holiday and my 56th birthday. I've invited the usual suspects to dine, dance and puke in my rose garden. Actually, nobody pukes anymore and I no longer have a rose garden.
Mostly, people will eat what we put out.
I always try to do something different and, this year, I'm going to make banana splits and watermelon margaritas. We'll throw in a few sliders, sausages and grilled dog meat. We have a couple of dead dogs in the freezer; we'll just cook 'em up and see if anybody notices. We'll tell everybody it's moosemeat.
Seriously, before anyone rats me out to PETA, do you think I would ever do such a thing?
NEVER!
Unless I was in a plane crash and a pack of Huskies came along and I hadn't eaten for days.
Even then.
I'd probably eat the pilot first.
I digress.
I was thinking maybe we could play horseshoes, or better yet, get out the golf clubs and chip balls across St. Laurent Boulevard. Wouldn't that be fun. Maybe we'll try a three iron and see if we can hit the loud mouth who lives kitty corner to us in the apartment building. That guy is a first class ass wipe, responsible for frequent visits from the Ottawa police and fire service. I'd like to get him right between the eyes.
Maybe not. Maybe at 56, I'm too old for such merriment.
NEVER. Hahahaha.
What do I want for my birthday, you ask?
I want a new pug.
A fawn pug, in memory of Ping Pong. But I can't have one just yet.
I have to first pay off the vet bills from the dispatching of Ming and Hannah.
Oh yes, and the pulling of Gordie's teeth.
I will have one, not on my birthday, may next birthday, maybe in my dotage.
It's on my bucket list.
Have a dog that makes everyone jump up at once and wipe fur off their clothes.
What a neat prank.
I loved Ming for that.
I miss her. That I do.
She's irreplaceable. Besides, we're so broke I'll just have to settle for a box of wine.
From the 50 percent off rack.
Five Air Miles.
You don't need money to have a nice birthday. Look how in debt Canada is!
And she can still afford to put on a lame show on Parliament Hill which is 90 percent French or stupid.
Something involving feathers and fiddles.
In my back yard, there won't be a show.
Just a bunch of yelling and high fiving in funny shirts.
We'll be having fun at the expense of Canada.
We will wear silly shirts and mock Canada.
You're never too old for that.
Here's wishing you a safe and wonderful holiday.
Don't drink and drive.
And if you decide to walk, pass us by.
Don't puke in my rose garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...