Skip to main content

Diets: The Art of the Cheat



Scott and I were lined up at the checkout at Loblaws, armed with spinach, whole grain wraps and other taste sensations, when the woman behind us began inspecting our haul.

"You must be on a diet," she said. "We've been on one for months; today is our cheat day."

I looked back at her cart, filled with lemon pie, chips, sugary drinks and processed food.

"I told my trainer that I was having a cheat day," explained the women, who could be rowing heavyweight in the Olympics. "The trainer said, basically, 'have fun cause it's going to be your last."

Lately, grocery cart inspection has become somewhat of a sport for me. We've been on the Harley Pasternak joint for nearly a month and have been swapping out those dastardly foods that have sabotaged us for years.

Here are my favorites: ice cream.

We've also shrunk our portion size and choreographed our plates to make grains and veg the stars of the show.

It hasn't been bad. I don't really miss the bad stuff and it's always a good feeling when you get to wear something you haven't been able to slither into for nearly a decade.

We have a cheat day, too. But we're not going crazy. That woman's haul was ridiculous and it was pretty clear to me that whatever regime she was on was making her miserable. She was having a hard time embracing change, and I'm sure the next time I see her, her cart will still be rockin' the pie out.

Our cheat day is today, so instead of having a smoothie for breks, we opted for eggs. A month ago, our Sunday breakfast would have consisted of two eggs, bacon or sausage and two pieces of toast. This morning, we had a omelette, no toast, so you see? We didn't cheat at all. We just swapped in solid food.

For lunch, if we even had lunch since we're so stuffed with omelette, we'll have Asian soup with udon noodles. YUM!

We looked at the ribs at the grocery store yesterday and took a pass. They just didn't look as good as they used to.

For dinner we're having roast turkey with fresh salad and strawberries we picked up at the Ottawa Farmer's Market today. Scott will also serve up some potatoes, but I won't be having any. I could but I don't want to.

I like eating this way.  I'm used to it.

Our only cheat will be wine and beer, maybe a cocktail.

Come on, folks, we're not insane.

After all, we aren't rabbits or grain fed chickens.

And it is Father's Day. Daddy deserves him some libation.

Enjoy your day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...