Skip to main content

The Queen of Instant Gratification

Dear Harley:

I was so happy to get your reply to my tweet yesterday. It's pretty unusual for a busy guy like yourself to take interest in the weight loss plight of an ordinary citizen like me. I can't really compete with your clients: J Lo, Miley Cyrus, Rachel McAdam, Halle Berry and all the other movie stars you train into ripped shapedness. So your tweet was well appreciated.

I was pretty sure, when I asked you what I should drink on the Twenty Days to Swimsuit Ready diet, that you wouldn't say "vodka" or "red wine". Basically, you're telling me what I already know but don't want to hear -- that I must drink more water. Like most people, I don't drink enough water. In fact, I have a full glass of the stuff that's sitting here, right next to my computer, and it's been here since 7 a.m.

Just can't choke enough of the stuff down. But I'm trying.

Yesterday, which was my first day on your diet, was brutal, let me tell you. Generally, I eat fairly sensibly but I was not ready for a "blenderized" diet unless it involved tequila. Everything was fine until midday when I started to feel pretty sick. I loved the smoothie and the soups, but eating bean dip with carrots rather than a large bag of tortilla chips, well, frankly it blows.

By the time dinner arrived, I was really feeling sorry for myself so I spent the night lying on the couch watching Kevin Costner overwrite yet another movie. (Somebody should tell Kevin that people didn't like Waterworld either.)

Anyway, this morning I dragged myself to the gym and did my usual thirty minutes on the elliptical then dragged myself back home to enjoy a wonderful smoothie made from apples, cinnamon and yogurt. It tasted like apple pie if you took the goo out of the apple pie and threw away the crust. Still, it was delish.

I'm looking forward to the cauliflower soup, which I'll devour in about half an hour.

I must admit, I'm worried. The Queen of Instant Gratification was hoping the scale would move a smidge.

I weighed 217 yesterday and I still weigh 217 today.

Scott says he's lost two pounds.

Bastard.

Maybe I'll put a jalapeno in his smoothie tomorrow.

Your friend in pain and suffering, Rosalita.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...