Skip to main content

The rat is our landlord


The key to a successful relationship with a landlord is to pay on time and hope he never darkens your doorstep.
Unless the toilet is busted.
Because when things get ugly, they go south pretty fast.
Our landlord's refusal to open a locked door in our house turned into a teapot tempest yesterday with my normally sane and calm husband basically telling him to fuck off. I could hear the telephone screaming match over American Idol -- it was so loud.
All we were asking was that he open the furnace room to allow the Bell technician to splice a couple of cables so that we could get satellite television and forever be rid of Rogers Cable. But Puddy -- we call him that because he looks exactly like Puddy on Seinfeld -- would not hear of it. He and his property manager, Hellion, were in Montreal and couldn't get back to open the door.
Bastards!
We had given them four days notice to open the door today. Apparently, that was not enough notice.
Needless to say, I am up early this morning to cancel Bell and plead with them not to charge us a cancellation fee.
My dream of a Rogers-less life has been forever dashed.
What a piss off.
Days like this make me long to be a homeowner again, in spite of all the expenses and hassles. Landlords like Puddy are happy to take your money but if you ask them to do one simple thing, they go all ballistic on you. Then they serve up some lie that they invented presumably from the Landlord-Tenant Act.
Word! Tenants aren't stupid. They are merely financially challenged.
I don't get this. We pay nearly $18,000 a year to idiots like Puddy. In my mind, we pay them for a service.
But in the landlord's mind -- in Puddy's at least -- we are mere serfs who have been given the privilege of squating in his pile.
Both he and Hellion -- names changed to protect the guilty -- treat us like shit.
All because their moms loaned them some money to become landlords.
This landlord is a particular dick head. He rented us the whole house except the garage because he "needed it", then came back to us a month ago to say we could "rent" it for an extra fifty bucks. He said if we didn't want to rent it -- the attached garage -- he would rent it to someone else, presumably a grow-op entrepreneur or somebody interested in storing their flammables away from their own house.
We jumped at the offer because we've been storing our stuff in a couple of back closets.
Here's the interesting part.
The furnace room, which houses all the cables, is in the garage for which we have a key but Puddy won't let us have the furnace room key. For some reason, he trusts us not to wreck his house but is terrified we might take a hammer to the furnace. Makes no sense.
Makes me also wonder what he has in his furnace room.
I've tried to give Puddy the benefit of the doubt. His last tenants apparently ruined his hardwood and left an image of cock and balls spray painted on the wall. We can still see the flaccid member through the white paint when the light hits the wall in a particular way.
The elderly mother of a friend saw it.
But just because a landlord has one bad tenant doesn't make all of us bad.
We are nearly ideal  tenants. We don't complain. We cut the grass. We are helpful.
I fear the altercation last night will result in Puddy trying to toss us at the end of the lease. Should that be the case, I fear another visit to the Landlord Tenant Tribunal. The guy who runs it must have quite a job.
Oh well, that's life in this little burg. Could be worse.
We could be living in NYC and have rats living in the furnace room.
Oh wait, the rat is our landlord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...