Skip to main content

I want to be a Linda Evangelista fashionista



When I was growing up, everybody's mom wore dresses.
Even around the house, which is I guess why they were called house dresses.
They were usually a jaunty print with belts designed to cover the bulges in the middle.
Corsets were out back then.
In the early 60s, everybody's mom looked like Ma Kettle.
Except my mother.
My mother always wore pants. I think she was more influenced by Katherine Hepburn than Ma Kettle, but then, my mom was as equally skinny as Kate Hepburn with the same kind of bobby-pin curled hair.


By the time I was a teenager, everybody's mom wore stretchy pants made from whole families of polyester. And sweaters with kittens and baby tigers. If they wanted to be fancy, they went with bejewelled tops that made them look like hookers, with big cleavage.
Needless to say, my role models have made it difficult for me to make good fashion choices.
When I was young, I used to look like Jane Russell, and I liked to wear inappropriate clothes, like halter tops and hot pants. Remember then?
When I married Mr. Big, he dressed me to look like a Glebe housewife -- you know the ones -- with the big handknit sweaters and cotton skirts to the ankles. I was in my thirties but I looked like I was in my fifties.
After Big decamped for another woman's vagina, I got all skinny again, thanks to the stress and loneliness and started dressing slutty again. It was, thankfully a short-lived phase.
If I'd kept this up, I could have been on Dr. Phil. Name of the show?
 I have a slutty mother who dresses like a hoe.


Fortunately, I married Scott and got fat and have spent the last ten years wearing t-shirts from Bali, Hawaii and golf tournaments via Value Village along with yoga pants or gym shorts. The footwear is equally fashionable Mephisto sandals or running shoes.
I'm thinking, now that I'm dropping some weight thanks to the gymnasty and the handy diuretics Dr. Ben gave me, it's time to make a new fashion statement that is age appropriate.
My new role model is?
MEGAN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...