Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day: Granny Up!


This year will be a very different Mother's Day for me and a few of my friends.

In 2012, we officially became grandmothers for the first time. We watched, in awe, as our children took up the challenge of the first diaper and swaddling. We agonized over whether they were ready for parenthood, remembering every misstep we took ourselves in keeping these new bundles alive and out of trouble. We heard the echo of our own mothers' voices as we offered reassurance about a cough or a wound.

And if we were to be totally honest with ourselves, we felt pangs of longing for our own youth, for the bodies that once turned a man's head, for the creaseless corners of our eyes and mouths, for the smooth surface of a virgin neck.

I wasn't quite ready to be a grandmother, I realize that now. I was angry at the prospect, disappointed that my young son did not have a plan, a car, or a good job that would offer his new daughter a secure life of endless possibilities. Then I realized, for all my own planning and best efforts, things didn't always work out in my own life. Regardless, we always made it through somehow.

The lyrics of John Lennon still echo: Life is what happens when you're making other plans.
But when I met my granddaughter, when I saw the love my son and his girl had for this child, I realized that it was none of my business. This was not my journey, it was theirs. All I could do was lend a helping hand, leverage my experience, and give my support in any way possible.
That is the Grandmother's role.

Good parenting is a selfless task. There is no manual for it. No recipe to guarantee a perfect little person. As we see in the news all too often these days, even the best trees can grow rotten apples. And yet some of the worst trees produce the sweetest of offerings.

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
The best you can ever do is the best you can do.

There's my mother's voice again.
The endless cliche.

As long as there is love and optimism, perhaps a sense of humor thrown in along with way, you can usually do the job right.

I learned that lesson along the way, in my own journey through motherhood.

I might not have been the best mother in the world. But hey, intention is everything, right?

So happy Mother's Day to Shyla, Skylar's mommy. To Danielle, just weeks after having Andre. And to the other young women out there who are celebrating their first ever Mother's Day.

Happy Mother's Day to Mary and to Debbie and to Suzanne -- my wise friends, old and new, who have had to granny-up. And of course, to Angie, Shyla's mother who shares this journey and little Skylar with me and my family.

No Mother's Day would be complete without a shout out to my own mother, Vera, and to my grandmothers Jessie and Ina, who died long ago, but who left their indelible mark on my life and gave me the courage to believe in the power of children.

I wish they could see little Skylar, the blue eyed princess who is making it all worthwhile all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...