Skip to main content

It's spring: Time to purge!



I'll admit to being elated at dumping Rogers Communications as my Internet provider, though I'm just a little worried about the effect it will have on my social and professional life.

I've had the same email -- as was pointed out by the passive aggressive Rogers agent -- since 1997 and changing providers means that my entire email history will be wiped out. So I spent the better part of this morning cutting and pasting email addresses and saving critical files, which I should have done months ago, but I didn't because I'm lazy.

One of the good things about what I do, as a magazine editor, is that I'm able to complete a magazine then toss out the photos and stories after they have been published. Being a magazine editor is a bit like being pregnant; the contents stay with you a while but eventually and gratefully, they are purged. It can be a painful process but it's very rewarding.

This means that I don't have to save a lot of what's in my inbox, so it shouldn't take me too long today. Trouble is that a lot of folks to whom I haven't spoken in a dog's age will eventually email something to me and it will end up in the cyber-in-between. They will think I have ignored them, but if they're smart they will find me on Facebook or LinkedIn, or Twitter.

Gotta love social networking. There's no such thing as anonymity anymore.

I'm thinking of changing my home phone number, too. I use my landline to do interviews and the only people who call me on it are telemarketers, bill collectors and doctors' offices looking for Nick and Shyla. Maybe it's time to purge.

It is spring after all.

Time to start anew. A new email, a new phone number and a new puppy.

And the end of tax season.

What can be better than that?

So I will go back to my deleting, organizing and saving in other files.

It's like burying Rogers Communications.

And I do that with gusto.

Comments

  1. Rose,

    If you have Microsoft Outlook installed on your computer, you can download all the contents of your Rogers inbox to your computer via POP3. If you don't have Outlook installed, you can download a free Email program called Mozilla Thunderbird and do the same thing.

    My suggestion would be for you to sign up for a free Gmail account and use it as your main address from now on. You will then be able to keep it and continue using it no matter how many times you switch providers. :)

    Best of luck to you!!

    - Seb.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...