Skip to main content

Old Age Security: Order your cyanide now oldsters!


I find it quite rich that Diane Finley is following Vic Toews' public relations strategy to sell the government's plan to raise the qualification age for Old Age Security to 67 from 65.

She spoke to the Canadian Club yesterday and singled out a table of youngsters -- who no doubt had their tickets paid for by the Tories -- and suggested we oldsters should sacrifice a little for the up and coming generation.

Finley took the opportunity to use young people as a human shield, just as Vic the Dick Toews had used children to protect him from those who were against his plan to have cops hack into our emails.

"The total cost of benefits will be increasingly unsustainable for tomorrow's workers and taxpayers," she said. "And it's the next generations of Canadians who will have to shoulder the burden."

In other words, we are unfairly burdening our children and grandchildren because of our impending slackery.

Wait a minute, there missy.

I suppose it doesn't count that older people continue to pay for the schooling of those same young people. We pay for the yellow school buses. We pay for the over-inflated salaries of those teachers.

As parents, we have shouldered a mighty high burden in getting our kids through post-secondary and, at least in my household, I'm continuing to help subsidize the living expenses of my son, his girlfriend and our lovely little granddaughter by several thousand dollars.

I don't think it's asking a lot for the youngin's we've been propping up to throw the old folks a meagre little government paycheque starting at age 65. I don't have a private pension. I had to work part-time as a single mother for most of my life because my husband walked out on his family.

I'd be happy to work beyond 65 but I doubt I'll be able to.

The odds are working against me.

I've endured a lifetime of high stress and now count high blood pressure as my constant companion. While I am active and eat well, I do not have the energy to put in a full day's work even now.

I'm fighting for my life at age 55 and I've got 10 years to go to the OAS, 12 if the Tories have their way.

Besides, nobody told us, say 25 years ago, that the rules will change just as we start to apply for our well earn retirement funds. I might have saved a little more, might have booted the kids to the curb a little earlier and made my own way a little better.

Doesn't matter what I think.

We live in Toryland now. A place of smallness and pettiness. A place run by a collection of superannuated career politicians who could care less about the people are struggling to get by.

I'm planning on pre-ordering a cyanide pill on the Internet, just in case.

I'll let you know where to get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...