Skip to main content

I am strong. I am invincible. I am Granny Rose

It's been nearly a year since I joined The Athletic Club in Ottawa.

I can't believe that I've stuck it out.

I never stick with anything; I'm weak, what can I say?

In thinking back, I realize how much I hated going to the gym in the past. Scott and I joined several gyms, but couldn't really connect with the experience.

I felt old, embarrassed, silly and scared.

Often, we would quit a gym over any excuse; mainly we quit because Scott had reinjured many of his joints worn down by high school football and carrying around a camera for 30 years.

I was more than happy to bail. Not my fault, right?

For some of us, maybe we just have to come to exercise at our own time, in our own way. When I started, I could only do five minutes on the rowing machine. Now, I pound that same machine for 30 minutes in addition to doing 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Exercise has changed my life and my attitude. For years, I had trouble walking on sore feet and had tendonitis in my arms. I had absolutely no flexibility or resilience.

Now, I get stiff only if I don't work out for a few days.

When I fell down the stairs on New Year's Eve, spraining my ankle and landing hard on my wrists, it hurt but I'm convinced that my commitment to exercise may have saved me from injuries that might have been much worse. Despite my injuries, I was back to the gym in less than two weeks.

The main thing that I've earned with my renewed commitment to fitness is an ability to granny my newborn granddaughter in an active manner. I remember my mom was about my age when she met her first grandchild and she could hardly walk and felt too weak to be left alone to care for him.

That's not me.

I am strong. I am invincible.

I am GRANNY ROSE.

Hear me roar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...