Skip to main content

Rose's New Year's TV lineup



We never go out on New Year's Eve.

Cabs are impossible to get. People drink too much and feel it entitles them to slobber all over you. Midnight is way too late for old folks like us.

So we're staying in. Practicing moderation. Probably go to bed at nine.

But as an early present to my bleaders, I've compiled a list of celebrations you might want to take in on the flat screen or on your iPhone.

Here's the lineup.

You're welcome.

CNN: The whitest man in America, Anderson Cooper, still can't get a date, so he's once again teaming up with Kathy Griffin (is she or isn't she a tranny?) to ring in the New Year from Planet Hollywood in Vegas. Look for Anderbum to bring his mom. Interest factor: -10)

NBC: The usually funny NBC is settling for Carson Daly who will host from Times Square with Jay-Z and Rihanna. Green Day will also perform. At least the music will be funny. (+8)

ABC: The fossil is back. Dick Clark will be gumming his way through New Year's with the help of Andy Rooney and a number of other dead celebrities. Ryan Seacrest will be in New York with Fergie live from Las Vegas. Performances will include Jennifer Lopez, Daughtry, The Black Eyed Peas, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Keri Hilson, Colbie Caillat, Orianthi and Robin Thicke. Still the one to watch despite Dick Clark. +10.

Fox: Carmen Electra (still hot, but what does she do exactly?) hosts this broadcast from Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay. Eva Longoria Parker and Kim Kardashian are set to appear, and "American Idol's" Kris Allen (who?) and Allison Iraheta as well as Sean Kingston will perform. -10

Global: Well at least the Canucks are trying. The gang from Entertainment Tonight Canada will bring you Simple Plan. -10

CTV: Always trying to save a few sheckles, CTV is running Mary Poppins, then Bad Boys. In between, we can catch Sandie Rinaldo with the news. Cheap bastards. Unrateable.

CITY-TV: Canada's elite fossil, Gord Martineau will be joined by a bunch of clowns from the station including Tracy Moore, Kevin Frankish, and Dina Pugliese. Gawd, I miss Mark Daly. Here's the entertainment, whoever they are. Shawn Desman, Danny Fernandes, Stereos, These Kids Wear Crowns, Divine Brown, and Blake McGrath.

PBS, which is mostly funded by Canadians anyway, will be ringing in the New Year with the New York Philharmonic. +10 for those classic music freaks out there.

I'll be in bed for sure.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...