Skip to main content

Rose's 12 Days of Christmas: Liberal Christmas capers


Jerry Yanover was sipping on a vodka, the ever-present Chesire cat grin becoming even bigger, if that was even possible.

He had done it.

Outsmarted Joe Clark's fledgling government over John Crosbie's budget. He and Allan J. MacEachen managed to bring down the Tory government at the Liberal Christmas Party.

That's one of my best Parliament Hill memories. No one could believe the Liberals. What a crafty bunch.

That was 1979, and one of the best Christmas parties the Liberal ever threw.

There were many others, of course, with lavish dinners, free flowing booze, more than the odd hookup.

If only Room 200 could talk.

I have fond memories of the holiday parties during my decade working as a journalist, then a Liberal flak, on Parliament Hill.

Like the time I got to sit at the head table of the Liberal Party Christmas party right beside his highness, Pierre Trudeau. The little man made small talk and ate nearly an entire croc en bouche himself.

There was hardly enough for the rest of us.

But we didn't complain.

He let us have all the wine.

We gave him a VCR and a copy of Superman, as a joke, because he'd recently squired Margot Kidder around town. He laughed, and said he'd use the VCR to show his kids nature films. What a cut up.

Or the Christmas party in Toronto, the Last Supper it was called, because Trudeau was leaving that year. I ended up at Gordon Lightfoot's house with Debra Davis. Gordie drove us himself in his white Cadillac.

We sat around talking to music executives while Gordie shot stick.

Or the time, again in Toronto, when we had to get Tom Axworthy back after a long, lubricated party. I remember finding his undershirt in my purse. The purser threatened to boot us off the airline and we were saved only when Mike Duffy intervened. That was a swell party.

One of the most memorable for me was the year before I joined the Liberals, when I was still working as a journalist in the hotroom. I decided to spend New Year's Eve at Canadian Press. Freddie Chartrand, the CP photographer, thought I should look like a present so he set about wrapping the tape from the wire machine around my head.

Cool!

He slipped and gave me a paper cut -- on my retina.

The Ottawa Hospital is never a great place to spend New Year's Eve especially when you're drunk.

That New Year's gave me lasting memories. I developed scar tissue on my eyeball which lasted for five years and would occasionally open up, allowing me to relive the painful episode over and over again.

Thanks Fred.

It was the holiday gift that kept on giving.

I don't go to Christmas parties on the Hill anymore.

I never get invited by anybody. But I don't care.

I'm probably not missing much.

I heard the Liberals were holding their party in a closet in the Confed block.

And don't get me started on the Tories. They were making a list, checking it thrice, to make sure no journalists, lobbyists or other fun people were invited.

And they had a chaperone.

The Liberals would never have tolerated a chaperone. He would have been found naked and tied to the Speaker's chair.

Maybe we did that once.

I can't for the life of me remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...