Skip to main content

Rose's 12 Days of Christmas: Doggy dead care



During my worst Christmas season ever, the dog drop dead at the kitchen table.

It was my first Christmas after Mr. Big decamped to take up with the White Witch of Bermuda. The kids were small and fairly oblivious, preferring to dream dreams of action figures, dolls and electronics. I mostly kept my weeping to myself, but I was in pretty serious pain.

A week before the holidays, the house was beautifully decorated by a mother with serious over-compensation issues. The presents were wrapped and hidden. The Christmas baking had begun.

Oh, I forgot. Did I tell you that this was the first Christmas after my mother died?

Yep. I had it all: abandonment issues, grieving, a tiny problem with the alcoholic grape and drowning loneliness. You try mustering the holiday spirit in that kind of perfect storm of sorrow.

But I managed.

Then the dog dropped dead.

Mandy, the beautiful black lab I had purchased to replace the two dogs I had to euthanize that same year.

I blame the nanny.

I got her from an agency. she was a rather large, toothless and nasty specimen shipped to me from Newfoundland. Mona was a untidy, over-the-top moshpit, a combination of Nanny McPhee, Susan Boyle and Rita McNeil.

She was jolly and good-humored, liked line dancing and braiding her long mane of hair. She had a fondness for boiling everything in oil and baking decadent treats for the chillin'.

In other words, she was a grieving, PTSD-afflicted single mom's dream come true.

Until she made one fatal mistake.

One day, I was off to work, and Mona decided to mix up a batch of oatmeal chocholate chip muffins. Yum! She left them to cool on the counter while she went out to have coffee with her peeps. She did not remember -- or care to -- kennel Mandy who, like most Labs, was a garbage hound.

When Mona returned, the muffins were demolished, and Mandy sat in shame in the corner. Mona forgot to mention this to me.

About the middle of the night, Mandy started panting and pacing on the bed. I let her out a couple of times. She just seemed to have a sore gut.

After the kids went off to school, I once again let Mandy downstairs while I went into the shower.

That's me, Janet Leigh, in the shower when I heard a blood curdling scream.

"What's going on?" I yelled, throwing on a towel.

"Oh, Lord de jezzus, Rose. Da dog eez deed."

Wet hair flying, I lept down the stairs, two at a time.

And there she was, my beautiful Mandy, my grief counsellor, lying in her own vomit, tongue dragging on the floor, eyes glazed over.

She was two.

Did I mention that?

All I could think about was getting the dog out of the house before wee Marissa returned from kindergarten. But how does one dispose of a hundred pound dog exactly?

Couldn't exactly bury her in the backyard in Orleans. My neighbor worked for the RCMP!

I called the vet, still wailing into the phone. He sympathetically sent over a couple of girls with a blanket. Mandy was carefully wrapped and dispatched to a nearby van.

The nanny was sent packing a couple of hours later.

I've been through a lot of bad Christmases, but the Gods were particulary cruel that holiday season.

Departed mother. Fled husband.

And a dead dog, felled by a muffin-making, line-dancing stupid nanny.

Top that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...