Skip to main content

Our miracle of Christmas: Against all odds



We haven't had a good Christmas in years, economically-speaking.

Of course, we always have a nice Christmas with the children and their significant others. There's always lots of food and drink, though fewer and much cheaper presents as the years go by.

These are challenging times for many of us and it seems the only ones benefitting are The Cash Store and Money Mart, as people try to keep up with Hydro and Rogers' bills that are the size of mortgage payments.

We got behind about two months ago, thanks to God's mystical sense of humor. My husband Scott sells Subarus and, this season, Subaru sightings are as rare as Pandas in the wild. The tsunami and earthquake that devastated Japan have resulted in terrible collateral damage in the car industry, and commissions for people like my poor Scott have plummeted.

His last pay cheque barely covered food let alone the utilities.

Of course, it doesn't help that Scott is married to a blogger who doesn't make enough money as a freelance writer to pay income tax. It's not for lack of trying, just an always tight market. I'm like the singer Ron Sexsmith who may be one of Canada's most famous songwriters but couldn't afford a piano to write his songs.

We artsies are destined to be inspired but poor, modern versions of Vincent Van Gogh. No where did I put my ear clippers?

A month or so ago, I foolishly set about to become a companion for seniors, you know, to help them out by taking them places and doing their errands. But I discovered quickly that all they want is to pay someone nothing to drive them around and stick the driver with the gas bill.

And nobody told me that I needed liability insurance.

The Loser sign on my forehead is growing more neon by the day.

So Christmas was staring us down, ominously, once again this year -- daring us to fail.

But then something happened and it changed everything. We got a call on our nearly silent telephone line from a group that needed a video produced for their web page. And they needed it immediately.

We don't get many calls like these anymore. They are so rare that I hardly ever look at the phone.

But it was a geniune call for work in our field.

Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem! Joy to the World! We're going to have a Holly Jolly Christmas after all.

So we're working this weekend to pull off the impossible and deliver a video by mid-next week. And get paid -- just before Christmas.

This isn't the first time we've found ourselves in the middle of It's a Wonderful Life.

It seems to happen every year. We always get a little job that will pay for Christmas. Not Christmas in Whistler, just a nice home style Christmas with no burgeoning VISA bills at the end of it.

Christmas with the Hydro and heat still on.

Christmas with a working phone.

Just when Christmas appears to be dead to us, somehow we pull it out.

It's a funny way to live, but, ironically, it makes us grateful for the kindness we receive each and every year. We never take our miracle of Christmas for granted.

However it comes, we'll take it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...