Skip to main content

The Oprah army looks for a new general



Oprah Winfrey was in damage control mode yesterday.

She took to the Doctor Oz Show to pimp her network and her new show, Oprah's New Chapter, in an attempt to remind viewers that she's still out there.

The OWN Network has been in free fall despite Oprah's attempts to shore it up with her own five-week show, Oprah's Lifeclass as well as a flashy talk show hosted by Rosie O'Donnell. In January, Oprah's set to launch The Next Chapter which will take the superstar around the globe to interwiew stars and newsmakers in their own countries and in their own lavish homes.

But Oprah's fairy dust doesn't seem to be working this time.

She's chewed through at least three top executives, as well as any staff, according to insiders, who question her vision. She's added reruns of her 25th anniversary show in her old time slot competing against the anointed Doctor Oz to see if she can get any traction. And she's called on all her celebrity friends, people like Julia Roberts and The Judds, to help her out. Nothing seems to work.

The problem is so bad that even Oprah's bestie, Gayle King, is abandoning ship to take on an ill-fated journey on the good ship CBS Morning.

What's left to try?

Even Oprah's own shows have proved to be dogs. Oprah's Lifeclass brought in dismal ratings every night, with low six figures in viewership and only a smattering of loyal fans sticking around for her webcasts.

It seems the Oprah army is looking for a new general.

The blame must rest with Oprah herself who has fashioned herself into some kind of new age guru, eyes brimming, hands aloft, out to bless all the poor, indigent and afflicted from her golden thrown.

Her Mantras -- this is what I know, if you know better you do better, live in the moment -- are ringing hollow to the people who loved her for car give aways and makeover shows. She is not a prophet, she is a chat show host, and people are getting tired of her ministry.

The writing has been on the tablets. Oprah just didn't listen to her inner voice.

A couple of years ago, Oprah's ratings began to plummet after she began to preach from her 4 o'clock pulpit. Her show had to be reinvented to bring back Tom Hanks and John Travolta, Tim Dunn and Paula Deene. Yet she didn't seem to learn the lesson.

People want to be entertained, not preached at.

Daytime talk is not as good since Oprah left. Anderson Cooper is mediocre and widely uneven in his offerings, and it's pretty clear Anderson isn't all that committed, revealing this week that he's accepted a part-time gig on 60 Minutes along with his other show on CNN, Anderson 360.

Ellen is always a fan favorite and Doctor Oz has done a nice job hoovering up all the housewive in Oprah's old time slot. There are many others out there sponging up the old Oprah viewers, yet nobody really has opted for OWN.

What will happen to the queen of daytime?

Discovery, the parent company, seems to be in it for the long haul, as are some loyal advertisers. But the company can only bleed money for so long before the drones say sayonara to the Queen Bee.

Needless to say, we shouldn't worry about Oprah.

She is a steel magnolia with enough money to buy a small African country and educate all its girls. Perhaps she should concentrate on getting her fancy man, Barack Obama re-elected.

In any case, you have to give her credit for trying something new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...