Skip to main content

Microsoft's bony little finger



The computer wars continue today.

On Saturday, my trusty computer -- the one Nick built -- died a horrible death.

Just wouldn't turn on.

Not even when we fed it carrots.

So Sunday, I whipped out my backup HP, the sluggish one that had been sitting in the closet for about a year. It chugged and spattered, whirled and wimpered, long enough for me to complete several days of work that had piled up.

Then, in mid-interview transcript, it put itself on life support.

Just like that.

Yesterday, I pulled the plug.

That left me with the HP laptop Scott had bought me in the summer, the one I am writing on now, which I have been using exclusively for blogging and adding nasty comments to CTV Ottawa web stories.

I bought it out of the box at one of those Future Shop near giveaways and it worked perfectly fine, except for one slight problem.

It had no software.

It came with the bare bones, Mickey Mouse little programs that I never use, games I never play, and ads for services I will never buy.

I didn't purchase the grown up software because it was too expensive.

Besides, the desktop computer was fully loaded with Cadillac Microsoft software Scott was given by one of the company's salesmen, gratis, because the guy liked the car Scott sold him.

That stupid software costs Microsoft pennies, I reckon, but the evil Microsoft empire shakes us down for hundreds of dollars to purchase it.

So I refuse to buy software until it is needed.

And yesterday, it was sorely needed.

Sadly, with the remaining sheckles left in my pocket, I sent my wonderful son to purchase the Microsoft Office Student and Home Edition.

By day's end, I could re-enter the world of work in hopes of raising enough cash to pay for software.

You don't get much for $160, just a disk in a plastic case that can satisfy the needs of three hungry computers. You don't even get an email management program, anymore.

What a rip.

Sheesh.

My package did come with a mouse for the dogs to chew on.

Thank Microsoft for small favors.

So, I'm up and rolling once again. I'm going to have listen to the drone of my own voice today as I retype my interview transcript.

Unfortunately, I can't print it.

Did I mention that?

The printer died on Monday.

The law of technological obsolescence.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Microsoft's bony little digital finger fully inserted up your trusty little butt hole.

Wallet that much lighter.

One of my Facebook friends posed this question to me yesterday.

Why do all computers and cars die just before Christmas?

It's all part of the masterplan.

It's because they're all made in Japan.

And Japan is evil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...