Skip to main content

Merry Christmas: We're screwed!


What a weird Christmas this is turning out to be.
I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet.
There will be no presents under the tree come Christmas Day.
None. Nunca. Nada.
That's because we were expecting a big cheque from one of our government clients weeks ago and it hasn't come yet.
It was promised.
You'll get it before Christmas, no problemo.
But the government lies.
So we had to take out a short term loan just to pay our massive Hydro bill.
Presents? Fagetaboutit.
Smartly, Scott went out and bought the fixings for Christmas dinner a few weeks back.
That's because we don't trust the government to make good on its promise.
Sheesh.
Fortunately, Scott got paid this week -- a whopping $500 from his car sales business.
His boss is a multimillionaire, but instead of giving the plebes Christmas bonuses, he's making them work six days a week all month for no extra money.
The $500 "draw" will at least pay for Christmas eve dinner, put some gas in the car and buy pet food.
Let's hope one of the dogs doesn't swallow an ornament.
Sorry pal, no vet visit for you. Hmm, you're looking mighty tasty down there.
Unless the big cheque arrives next week, we'll be eating leftovers and lentil soup until the New Year, when our ship will finally come in.
In January, we're getting paid from three sources!
Caching!
The lead up for Christmas has been just horrible. My home phone died so I had to spring for a new one. Then my desktop computer died. Then my back up computer died.
I can't afford to replace them, so I'm relying on my laptop to do my work. Which means that I had to buy Word Student and Home Office at a cost of $160.
Chicken and egg, don't you know.
Must have software to do work to pay for software.
I had to borrow the money from Stef to buy Office. I had to ask Marissa for some editing software to edit my magazine pages.
How broke are we?
If Shyla has the baby this week, we're going to have to circle the hospital because we can't afford to pay for parking.
That's how broke.
All because Canada Post lost our freaking paper work for our contract a month ago. Then the client lost the invoices. Then they asked us to reinvoice four times under various names. Then the assorted finance people got confused because the invoices were in various names asked for by the client.
Ya gotta love working on contract for the government!
Now all the beetles have gone home for Christmas holidays.
Won't be back until January.
Skiing at Tremblant.
Meanwhile, we're living on fumes.
And lentil soup.
I'm not saying all of this for you to feel sorry for me.
A lot of people have it worse than us.
The only people who seem to have money this year are the folks who own Money Mart.
I'm glad the kids are grown up because we won't have to explain why there are no presents under the tree. We won't have to go to Toy Mountain or the Food Bank.
But yesterday, I got feeling pretty blue.
So here's a song which reflects my Christmas spirit.



Ho ho ho.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...