Skip to main content

Lost in the Microsoft clouds



My elderly desktop computer died yesterday.

It had been ill for sometime, slowing down, getting confused over even the simplest tasks, sometimes not getting out of bed at all.

I have donated it to science. It is sitting downstairs in Nick's bedroom and it will be harvested for parts.

Fortunately, I have this trusty HP laptop as well as an equally elderly HP computer, which will be doing yeoman's work until I can gather enough sheckles to invest in a new fancy desktop.

The laptop is fine for writing drivel for the masses, but I need the big guy to do the heavy lifting.

Magazine editing can be a bitch, especially when one is self-employed and one's magazine physically resides in Paris, France. The work requires a bit of specialty software and a big screen for world-weary old eyes.

I was so upset, I vibrated all day yesterday and bounced like a ping-pong from one hardware station to another and dug through boxes looking for a phantom piece of software -- Microsoft Office -- which I believe was pilfered by one child or another. They all deny it.

I'm on deadline and I have three big stories to write this week. I've lost all my contacts and pray to hear the familiar ding and see an email from a friendly Parisien who can supply me with all the contacts of all the other friendly Parisiens who, inexplicably, have either Russian or Spanish names.

All of your bleaders in my contact list, feel free to email me, otherwise, there will be silence from this end. I may be wise, but I cannot read your thoughts, virtually or otherwise.

I'm thinking of investing in Microsoft Office Suite 3.0, which is one of those cloud things. It's only twelve bucks a year and it's supposed to do the same thing as Microsoft Office, which, if I were to buy it new, would cost me my first born grandchild -- and I don't think I could wrestle Little Wheels out of her mother's clutches just yet.

That damned Bill Gates is still ripping off us po' folk, the idiots who continue to be duped into buying gold laden software which costs The Gates Corporation pennies, but shakes us down for $600, to power up our cheap computers. Damn you, Gates!

I must admit, computers are lasting longer than they used to.

I remember a time, not long ago, when I was making my living as a speechwriter and had to have THREE computers in the house in case there was some sort of glitch in one, and the boys were downloading porn in the basement on the second which caught a virus.

Sometimes, I long for the old Underwood, the one I learned to write on. It never gave up. But then, it would take four months of typing to guarantee clean copy.

The Gods in the cosmos were after me yesterday.

I began the day losing my iPod shuffle, which is a tiny little device that I attach to my pants to help me through the slog at the gymnasty. I charged it and clipped it to my Lulu Liz Lemons, but when I got to the gym, it was gone.

I almost lost my bowels, right there.

I can't do the gym without Queen and Styx, and I couldn't face the Saturday having to listen to Brad Giffin talk about dead teenagers shot with unregistered firearms in Alberta.

I had to settle for Beverly Hills Brides. Did you know they're making bridal gowns out of pineapple these days?

The things you learn on the treadmill.

I got through the workout and came home.

I found the iPod shuffle in my underwear.

Thought I'd dodged the technological bullet, but then the computer imploded, squealing, then softly whimpering as it gasped its last fatal breath.

I was so mad yesterday, I cleaned my office.

That never happens.

So, dear bleaders, if you followed me to the end of this rant, help a girl out won't ya? Look to your right or below this pithy prose and you might find yourself a wonderful Christmas gift. If enough of you click, maybe I can afford the twelve bucks for the Microsoft cloud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...