Skip to main content

Laureen Harper: Baton girl



There's a story today that Laureen Harper will be conducting a free Christmas concert with the National Arts Centre orchestra.

The fact that she's not a musician or has never been a conductor doesn't seem to matter. (If I'd been the main conductor, I'd be worried that if the job is this easy, I'd soon be out of a gig.)

Who on Earth would want to see this crap?

Now, I'm not much of an orchestra fan -- the first time I went, I told one of the musicians I knew all the songs from Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner cartoons -- and concerts of these kind always put me to sleep. But watching Laureen Harper twirl the baton would be like watching her husband playing pro hockey with the Senators.

Both, I'm sure would fall on their asses.

Let's face it: Prime Ministerial wives are useless appendages, with the exception of say, Mo McTeer, who actually had a professional job as a lawyer. But even McTeer was dumbed down upon taking up the key to 24 Sussex, writing books on decorating instead of taking crooked landlords to court.

Margaret Trudeau was good for a laugh, but now that she's the face of mental illness, well the gag's getting pretty old.

I liked Mrs. Martin and Mrs. Chretien because they stayed in the background and didn't make nuisances of themselves. Frankly, I think Mrs. C was the brains behind da little guy, but she was content to keep her mouth shut and smile pretty for the camera.

Prime Ministerial wives have it pretty good, so why do they need to make spectacles of themselves?

I mean, Harper hates the NAC and will probably have to be caught with a meat hook and dragged there. Why must they inflict the pain on the musical public?

Is the NAC so desperate to sell tickets that it has to rely on the kindness of members of the Conservative Party to pre-purchase season tickets to this gag fest? (Remember: the PMO is watching!)

I'm not going to see it.

I bet you won't want to, either.

Stuff that in your tuba and blow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...