Skip to main content

Kicking 2011 to the curb



Loblaws stopped carrying the Ace Bakery whole grain and cranberry bagels I've come to love.

That was one of the big disappointments for me in 2011.

I don't expect much from life, but a 200 calorie, high fibre, bagel that doesn't taste like sawdust is one thing I've come to count on. It keeps me satisfied and it keeps me regular, therefore it keeps me happy.

When you get to be this old, tilting toward the end of the side rule of life, not that many things can get you down. You're rarely disappointed in people because you just don't expect much of them anymore. If you're not rich by now, you're never going to be, so why worry?

As long as you have a safe, dry and warm place to live, people who love and care about you, and a pack of dogs sitting at your feet, you're pretty lucky, I'd say.

I don't have much to gripe about, but there are some things that have pissed me off in 2011.

The year was another bust, economically. Some months, we could barely pay our expenses. Often, we had to do without. There were no trips, only a couple of good dinners out and there was sheer mayhem on the technology front with all but one of my trusty computers dying pitiful deaths.

My work situation was worse than usual. I think I made $4,000 which is less than I made as a university student in the 70s.

And yet there are things to be grateful for.

Despite my economic failure, I've had a wonderful work year. I started out getting Botox and dermal filler as part of a video project. I got to meet and write about some wonderful and inspirational people, like Francoise-Rene Dussault, a man who has had two kidney transplants. There is nothing that makes you more grateful than feeling the heart beat of a dialysis patient through the exposed vein on their wrist. I will never again take for granted my ability to pee.

The blog has been a God send for me. It's opened up my mind and it connected me with the greater world where I now have many friends. Most of my bleaders aren't Canadian. (Note to self: stop writing about Stephen Hartper) My bleaders come from the United States, the UK, Eastern Europe, even Brazil.

In their honor this season, I'm breaking out the firearms, drinking some industrial strength vodka and going to the salon for a wax. Hehe.

Seriously, it's nice to know that I have a voice, and that some people are listening.

The year has been hard on the family, I'm afraid. While we will be happy to welcome our first grandchild, conceived in 2011, it's created a hardship for all of us. Priorities have shifted and each of us is doing our part to pitch in, to give little Wheels a better future than if her parents were flying solo.

I've heard the lectures from some people who say they made their bed and they should have the baby in it. I say, that's not how we do it in our family.

At the end of the day, family is all we've got.

The strain of no money, a crappy job and more responsibility is taking its toll on Scott who, lately, has lost his wonderful smile. He wrote me a note yesterday apologizing for being so gloomy.

It's just, he says, that year by year, everything seems to drop away and diminish us by inches.

It's getting harder and harder to boost his flagging spirits. Too often, the only thing that lifts him up is 40 proof.

I hope 2012 will be a better year for him.

It should be.

As a Leap Year baby, he's about to turn 14.

That has to count for something.

I find my own strength, my gratitude, in the things I still have.

A wonderful family.

The rowing machine at the gymnasty.

Three dogs who continue to make me laugh.

Premium cable.

And of course, you my faithful bleaders.

You're always out there.

At 8 in the morning or 4 in the morning, someone around the world is out there for me to talk to.

Here's to you, my good companions.

May 2012 bring you love, happiness, and enough booze, pot and cigarettes to make it through the rest.

Hopefully, the Mayans will be wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...