Skip to main content

Kevin Nelson was one of the greats



Some people are meant to be comets in this life.

They soar through life, burning brightly. Then suddenly, the bright light is extinguished.

Just like that.

Kevin Nelson was one of those comets. He died today at the age of 52.

I wrote about Kevin a few months back when it was announced he would no longer be heard on the radio show that made him famous, the morning show on Majic 100 in Ottawa.

He and longtime side kick, Bill Parker, were being replaced with little fanfare. There were no going away parties, no back-slapping farewells.

Just radio silence.

Like many people in Ottawa, I was mad. I felt Kevin had been mistreated. It turns out, according to those who knew and loved him, I had been misinformed.

I received numerous messages on my blog about Kevin's bad behavior, how he had treated people horribly and turned his back on the people who loved him the most.

Kevin had a problem with alcohol and it, coupled with a liver infection he caught on a Caribbean trip, had ruined his health. He wasn't fired, as many of us suspected, he was eased out. His health made it impossible for him to return. His behavior, his rage and disdain for his fans, were never mentioned in the press releases.

I am sorry to say, I have heard these stories too many times before, whispered behind the backs of people I've known, loved and lost.

Two friends, in particular stand out.

Larry Mootham was a talented bluesman who died at 46. All efforts to help him with his addiction failed. I remember how angry people were, the musicians who played with him, the friends who picked up the pieces, the family which was let down.

Joe O'Donnell was my other friend who lost his life to extreme addiction. Joe was an outstanding journalist and a great guy. But he couldn't kick his addiction, either. And we all watched helplessly as he wasted away to nothing. He was dead in his mid-40s as well.

How incredibly sad.

Everyone was so angry.

They'd ruined relationships. They'd turned into unrecognizable parodies of themselves. They'd thrown their talent away.

But it always struck me that people are talking about the addiction, not the person. Addiction is a baffling yet socially acceptable illness. It brings the best, the brightest, the most favored sons and daughters to their knees.

I hate it when people call the afflicted alcoholics.

It seems so unseemly, so judgmental.

They should not be defined by their disease.

I was shocked by the comments I received about Kevin Nelson. It was too much personal information.

I was not a friend. I was a fan.

I had no idea that he had a problem. Until he was sick.

Then everybody decided to throw stones at him.

I want to think of Kevin Nelson as the best DJ in Canada, a funny fellow with a gentle sense of humor.

He hid his illness well.

Because he was a pro.

I want to remember him as a man who loved this city and its people.

He should be remembered for what he gave -- to his listeners and to the charities and causes he supported.

In the coming weeks, we should mourn the man, not celebrate the disease that took his life.

Kevin Nelson was one of the greats.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...