Skip to main content

Looking good: At her age



I'm looking out at a winter wonderland wondering how anyone could doubt we would have snow on Christmas.

I can't remember a Christmas in my longish life when there wasn't snow on my Canadian home. Even in St. Catharines, the homeplate of damp drizzle, there was always a white blanket on Christmas.

We're Canadian.

It's how we roll.

And yet for two solid weeks, the news people have been kvetching about a green Christmas.

Oh, ye of little faith.

The Environment Canada weather dudes told us we had an 80 percent chance of green, but I suspect they were smoking something.

Just look out the winda.

After I write this and have my chai tea, I'll be rolling out the door, heading for the shopping mall, not to line up with the idiots who worship false idols on Boxing Day, but to get my sweat on at The Athletic Club once again.

I've missed a few days and my bones are starting to ache. I'm at the age when I've started to feel little jabs of arthritis and I find that daily workouts keep me limber.

Exercise is no longer an option, but it's a necessity.

For nearly a year, I've been rowing and bouncing on the elliptical, sometimes cursing these harsh taskmasters. But I've started to feel decades younger. My skin is toxin-free, my head is clear and my body smiles through the aches and pains.

Can't say I've lost much in the weight department, but I'm starting not to care.

It's health I'm after.

A feeling of general well-being.

It's all you can hope for in late middle age.

I have watched many of my friends succumb to the illness creep over the last year.

Some sadly, have died years before they should have.

To cancer.

To flu.

To life.

I want to be one of the survivors.

I want to be at my granddaughter's wedding twenty or so years hence and dance with the groom.

I want to be one of those little old ladies that the yougin's smile at.

Look at her. Look how great she looks.

At her age.


I want to be alive.

I want to thrive.

As Will.I.Am wrote:

I wanna be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...