Skip to main content

I'm dreaming of Swedish meatballs



What a hectic Christmas Eve.

It started early at the Laundromat, then segued into the grocery store for some last minute items: sour cream for the lemon cake; spices for the red cabbage; and cream for the Swedish meatballs.

In honor of Steig Larsson, we are having a Nordic family Christmas Eve. We got inspired watching the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night and downloaded recipes from Canadian Living. It's going to be awesome!

Today, we'll watch the rest of the series, both Fire and Hornet's Nest, and try to think of ourselves as Svedish and don comfy sweaters.

Herna herna herna.

Maybe we'll end the day with Abba.

It's a great way to clear a room.

Toute la gang will be showing up in the late afternoon.

Shyla, the teletubby will be here in all her pregnant glory. Nick will wake up around 9 p.m. shaking the sleep off from his overnight shift at the Big Box store. Stef will probably appear a couple hours after his wait shift pretty well lit, after sharing some pops with the bossarooni. And Jeff and Marissa will round out the crew somewhere in between.

Oh yes, and Roger has come back from the dead, so he'll be here, too, with his one beer.

It's so nice to have all the family in the same city. We don't have to worry about kids driving on treacherous roads, but for a few blocks.

Very different from my own early life when Christmas meant careening down the 401, waiting for the tow truck in the ditch or white-knuckling it through ice and sleet and snow, only to arrive in St. Catharines exhausted and gassy from too much Tim Horton's.

I haven't been back home for years.

All the elders from St. Kitts are long gone and most of my friends have long departed Car Town Niagara.

Nobody left to run with any more, as the Allmand Brothers once wailed.

Scott's parent are both gone, too. We both lost our parents in our 30s.

We both became elders well before our time.

But that's the way life is.

A box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

I'm grateful today for a life, so far, well lived and for the love that envelopes me like a warm blanket on days like this.

And I want to send out my very best wishes to the people I love and to friends I have yet to meet.

Be well. Hold your loved ones close.

And for those who have had a hard 2011, don't despair.

Number twelve is just around the bend.




Happy holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...