Skip to main content

I am the Grinch: Rose's blog of the year



I didn't do any market research when I started this blog a few months back. I didn't do a survey asking people what kind of blog they'd like to read. I didn't poll advertisers to ask what kind of blog they would support.

I just knew what I had in my heart.

And that is why I write this blog.

It keeps me grounded. I gives me insights into my own psyche.

It's just that simple.

But bloggers can't avoid the numbers. Google gives us a run down of who's reading, where they live and how many times they click on advertising. This gives people like me a bit of a guide.

Sometimes, you don't get it right.

Sometimes, a blog just hits a nerve.

Look to the right and you will see my most popular blogs of the year. One is about Kevin Nelson, a beloved disc jockey who passed away recently. One is about Gloria Steinem and the future of feminism.

More than 3,000 people clicked on Gloria Steinem.

That's pretty big in Blogland.

But the most popular blog, as you can see, was about Christmas. About me being a Grinch. About me recognizing the true spirit of Christmas.

Do you know how people read that blog?

20,594 people.

TWENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE!

Pretty impressive.

That doesn't mean that twenty thou will continue to follow me.

In fact, today, I've only attracted a couple hundred readers.

But it's nice to know that something I put out there resonated with enough people to populate a small town in Eastern Ontario.

Food for thought.

Thanks for reading in 2011.

Hope to do better in 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...