Skip to main content

Hope God serves Labatt 50 in heaven


When the grandparents were finally dispatched to their final resting spots, my mother moved us to a small apartment in the north end of town.

It was a big change for us, leaving the six acre fruit farm and entering the world of urban dwellers.

I was all for it.

I was a teenager by this time, sixteen and in the prime of it, and had finally broken my protective shell. I wanted to put my lips to the world, as they say, and living in the city was just the button I needed to reboot my life.

My mother's apartment became a hub of teenage hormones and merriment. Every weekend, there was a crowd of my high school friends who would come carrying boxes of Labatt's Blue and 50 -- my mother's favorite -- and we would sit around, listening to tunes on the eight track and watching dirty movies on Global television. We got our first color television in 1972 and we sat crowded round watching flying boobies on the Baby Blue Movies they played at midnight.

I remember fondly a naked ballet. I had never seen a penis before -- really, I am Liz Lemon!-- and it was odd and slightly unnerving watching the dancer's member floppling like a dead halibut as he shifted his weight, toe to toe.

I have never since been able to watch the real ballet without trying to envision the dancer sans codpiece.

It's a fetish. I can't deny it.

Christmas holidays at my mom's place were the best ever.

My crowd, the freaks and geeks from the Audio-Visual club, mixed it up with my brother Gary's rowing crowd and hilarity ensued. I loved the rowing boys, as I would love photographers later, and the girls in my crowd fished from that pool for a steady stream of hot, hard-bodied boyfriends.

But the geeks and freaks were my all time crew.

Molehead and Wayne would tart up the apartment with strobe lighting which bounced along with Alice Cooper and whatever other heavy metal we were listening to at the time.

Fitzie, the son of the town fire chief and a navy cadet, kept us in stitches telling off color jokes, and filled our heads with his stories from time served on navy destroyers. He also liked to recite ribald limericks. Here's one I remember.

The sexual life of a camel
Is much stranger than anyone thinks.
In the height of the sexual season
He tried to bugger a sphinx.
But the sphinx's exterior orifice
Filled up from the sands of the Nile.
Which accounts for the humps on the camel.
And the sphinx's inscrutible smile.


While the boys played with the stereo, we girls would experiment with all manner of frothy drinks made with the blender. Pink Ladies were an all time favorite.

Southern Comfort was a staple.

We would dance, we would frolick, we would rock and roll.

The next morning, we would hurl.

I'm not sure exactly how mom didn't get arrested for aiding and abetting under age drinking and puking in the parking lot. The cops came a few times but basically let us go with a warning.

This was St. Catharines in the 70s after all, a car town where the only entertainment was a night at the Welland House taking in the beer and ballet.

I miss those days.

My mother was never happier than to have a crowd of kids in the house. It made her feel young again, helped her reinvent herself in her middle age.

My aunts would come over and snap a few caps with her, but it was the High School Musical which really turned her crank.

I'm glad we gave that gift to my mother. She had a hard life raising us kids on her own and cleaning up after old people who made her feel bad about herself.

The kids loved Vera, and Vera loved her kids.

I even remember her holding somebody's hair while they rode the porcelain bus.

Vera wasn't exactly the greatest role model. She would never have won Mother of the Year.

But she gave us food, aspirin and a safe place to play.

And made us feel like we mattered.

Miss you, mom.

Merry Christmas.

If there is Christmas in Heaven, I hope Jesus breaks out the Labatt 50.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...