Skip to main content

Harper and the gun registry: Register this!



Ask the cops, and they'll tell you that the long gun registry has saved lives -- their own.

Whenever a cop goes into a difficult domestic situation or responds to a call that someone is holding a hostage, it's good to know how many firearms are in that household. There have been RCMP officers who have walked into these kind of situations, with absolutely no information, and had their heads blown off.

So for that reason alone, the long gun registry should have been retained.

But, we all know it won't be.

If Stephen Harper has his way, and you know he will, not only will there be no registry but all the records will be burned.

Nothing we can do about it. The people of Canada has spoken. They've given their favorite dictator carte blanche to destroy everything that is good and decent in this society.

And send young folk to prison for smoking a doobie on their porch.

No point flogging a dead horse, right?

But do the Tories have to rub our noses in it?

Word today is that the Conservative party has launched a new radio and online campaign to let Canadians know that the long-gun registry is about to go.

The radio advertisement features a couple talking about the registry’s demise in casual conversation, and also giving a thumbs-up to the Tories for following through on their campaign promise to scrap the registry.

The launch of the ad on Sunday is coupled with the official launch of a website, ScrappedTheRegistry.ca.

“Hey, honey. So, it’s almost gone,” a woman says in the ad.

“What is?” a man responds.

“The wasteful long-gun registry,” she says.

WTF?

Why are the Harperites spending our money to advertise the demolition of the registry, when many Canadians are not in favor of the legislation?

It really makes my blood boil.

This is further evidence of a government that has taken control freakishness to an all time level. I simply cannot understand why they bother with these ads other than to pander to their own constituency.

It's especially distasteful in light of the recent shooting of four young people in Alberta at the hands of a jealousy-driven, possibly alcohol-fueled, spurned lover who was all of 20 years old.

Rural folk will argue that guns are for shooting gophers. They will say the government has no business in their business.

Perhaps the families of those dead young people will disagree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...