Skip to main content

The Ghost of Swedish meatballs past



The Swedes.
I don't know how they do it.
I woke up this morning with an aching gut from all the butter and cream I consumed last night at our Nordic feast.
It was fantastic; don't get me wrong.
Swedish meat-a-balls, potatoes laced with butter, cream and anchovies, red cabbage laced with apples and vinegar. My own lemon cake as the finale.
But woof.
I woke up in the middle of the night, in such gut agony, I couldn't decide which end needed the attention of the porcelain bowl more.
In the end, I managed to quell my turbulent, acidic waters with a glass of gingerale.
But then the dreams started. First, I was back at the Laundromat being held captive by the Guyanese owner who was nattering on about a customer who didn't pick up her drying cleaning.
Then I was at the house of a former friend who was kvetching about the sources of our discord.
Finally, I was at somebody's house, sitting there, unable to move, knowing I had to pick Scott up at the car dealership.
Boring dreams, for sure, the Swedish equivalent of the three ghosts of Christmas: laundry lady, former friend and impatient husband.
I was waiting for ABBA to jump into my head belting out Dancing Queen.
Sheesh.
Christmas Eve went on without a hitch. The kids and significant others showed up bearing gifts, strangely, the same gifts. Stef got us a Kobo book reader and Marissa got us a Kindle book reader.
Hmmm. Perhaps they were trying to tell us we should read more.
But the highlight of the night was the present Marissa bought for Stef -- booby slippers, gigantic pink nippled hoofers that reminded me of the titties in that Woody Allen film, the ones that chased people around shooting milk at them.
Stef is pretty easy to please. He loved his booby slippers.
He teased the dogs with them.




The night ended with an encore performance of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, a movie that Stef bought us a couple of years ago.
It's the gift that keeps on giving.
It came with a hat, coasters and fake white snow.
Can't get cheesier than that.
All in all, we had a wonderful Christmas.
I am paying for it today.
Still.
It's a good memory.
Hope you made memories, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...