Skip to main content

Bing Crosby: Let there be weed



I was feeling a bit sorry for myself yesterday, peering pitifully at my trusty digital tape recorder, not looking forward to hours of interview transcription.

I love being a journalist, really get off on doing interviews with fascinating characters and trying to capture their essence in print. It's what I live for, really.

But I do not live to do transcribing.

Old school fellars never taped interviews and I resisted technology for ages, but somewhere along the line, my brain got soft and I realized that the digital tape recorder was an invaluable tool to get accurate quotes and, basically, ensure that you don't get sued. It's come in handy on a couple of occasions with very difficult subjects who basically accused me of quoting them out of context or inaccurately.

The recorder has saved me. It also made them look like fools. Ah ha!

But transcription is a dreary and laborious occupation and I hate it more than doing dishes.

Anyway, half-way through the transcription yesterday, my neck was aching and I was feeling the need for a long break and snooze on the couch, so I turned on my digital recording of White Christmas, the Bing Crosby classic.

I must have watched that golden oldie more than 30 times. It makes me feel all is right with the world.

White Christmas is something you can always count on, even if you can't count on real snow for the holiday.

Ever since, I got my iPhone, I've started watching movies, even the old ones, somewhat differently.

I like to google the stars during slow parts, to find out their backstory on IMDB, the movie data base.

Here are a few factoids about the stars of White Christmas that might surprise you.

Bing Crosby was a devoted pot smoker. He even lobbied his right wing pals to have Maryjane decriminalized. It's said that marijuana may have been responsible for Bingo's laid back song styling and the twinkling eyes.

But it didn't make him laid back in real life.

Bing might have played a saint in the movies, but he was famously a bastard in real life, a monster who beat his kids and called them names. He was also a sadist. In his will, he bequeathed a pile of money to his boys, in trust, until they were 65.

Two of his kids -- the twins -- committed suicide.

Rosemary Clooney was a manic depressive who claimed that her nuttery cost her relationships and jobs. She suffered from what is now known as bipolar disorder for most of her life. In happier news, Rosemary married Jose Ferrer -- twice -- and is the aunt of George Clooney and the mother-in-law of Debbie Boone which makes her in-laws with Pat Boone who does those geriatric tub commercials and a few years ago came out with a heavy metal album. Six degrees.

Vera Ellen was said to have held the record for the smallest waist, ever, in Hollywood. There were rumors of anorexia (no!) and she withdrew from public life in the 1960s after losing her three-year-old to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. How sad.

Danny Kaye, always my favorite, was rumored to have had a decade-long homosexual relationship with Sir Laurence Olivier despite being happily married for much of his life. Gives new meaning to the term "back story". Who said that?

And of course, Mary Wilkes, the housekeeper was an outie lesbian at a time when it was not fashionable. She was my mother's generation's version of Jane Lynch. Tall!

I feel better knowing all of this. I can't tell you why. Maybe it's because all of those people looked so happy and put together, when I'm never happy or put together.

By the way, Bing Crosby would be 108 now.

If he'd lived.

Wouldn't it be great if he were still around to show Michael Buble and Justin Bieber a thing or two? If only he'd found a little mouse named Mr. Jingles and had a big black inmate blow coal colored particles into his lungs, we might still hear Bing crooning today.

He might have appreciated the stronger weed.

And not have hit his kids so much.

Here's Lady Gaga, proving White Christmas never gets old.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...