Skip to main content

Why we hate our family doctors



For twenty years, I had a family doctor whom I absolutely adored.

He was a Franco-Ontarian, movie star handsome, soft-spoken and caring. He ran a small practice on Dalhousie Street in Ottawa, as well as a couple of satellite clinics in Bourgette and Clarence Creek.

When he closed his Ottawa practice, I used to drive out to the country to see him because I loved him. He did more than check my vitals; he listened.

About five years ago, Dr. Jacques decided to cut back. He said he'd had it with the long hours and the paperwork, and was ultimately going to retire. Because I had stopped seeing him on a frequent basis, I was being cut as a patient.

I was mortified.

I was able to find another doctor, the one I lovingly refer to as The Worst Family Doctor in Ontario. He's not really THE WORST, I suspect, but he certainly doesn't live up to the standards that Dr. Jacques maintained.

I think it's a big problem for my generation, the patients who grew up with the Marcus Welby model of medicine. The doctors who delivered us were expected to keep unreasonable hours and have a super-human commitment to their patients. Some of them delivered our own parents, and then delivered us.

Doctors today still work hard and keep long hours, but they aren't willing to sacrifice the way the previous generation of doctors did. They aren't much different than the general population these days who don't have the same loyalty to their employers and their work as people once did.

I worked in medicine for several years, and got to know a lot of doctors -- mostly specialists -- and I see the difference between the older doctors and the ones coming up. The residents and newbies want to live in nicer locales, they want more time with their families, they want more money for less work.

Unfortunately, they are working in very difficult times. There aren't enough doctors for patients, their clientele are less grateful and more willing to challenge them, partly because today's patients are more knowledgeable about health care, thanks to the Internet and the media.

Doctors no longer garner the kind of respect they once did.

We once revered our doctors and had unwavering belief in them. Now, armed with some knowledge of our own, we realize that doctors don't know everything. We read about how doctors make gigantic mistakes costing people their lives, how doctors like the disgraced Toronto coroner, Charles Smith, have ruined people's lives with their ineptitude. About sexual abuse on patients. About doctors, like one, here in Ottawa who put patient's lives at risk by not following proper infection control procedures.

And we don't like it one bit.

There's a disconnect today between patients and doctors.

And it's not going to get any better soon.

There aren't enough doctors to go around. Patients are frustrated with a system that is broken.

The age of Dr. Welby is long gone.

It's sort of like the decline of the family dinner, once lovingly prepared and served.

Now, we just have to settle for fast food medicine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...