Skip to main content

Dolphins lean to swim with sharks



With all this talk of bullying, it should be pointed out that bullying doesn't stop after high school.

For a lot of folks, it doesn't get better, as the campaign suggests. A lot of folks just learn to deal.

I didn't get bullied in high school, but I've certainly met my share in the workplace, particularly in the federal government where it seems all the mean girls got jobs as managers after high school.

I once worked as a temporary replacement in a government department whose communications manager was an absolute monster. She would only meet face to face with the staff once a week and would manage using threatening emails.

I replaced three of her staff members over four months, all of whom had taken stress leave because of her wicked queen like behavior.

I've also encountered many bullies working in newspapers.

They were called editors.

I've been called every name in the book because they didn't like my copy.

And in the early days, I was sexually harassed on a daily basis because I have big boobs.

One of the photographers used to call me Rosie Tits.

I need not say more.

There's a saying that I like: when you're a dolphin, you learn to swim with sharks. And let me tell you, there are a lot of sharks in this town, starting with the one at the top, the ruthless SOB working out of Centre Block who has a master plan to take over the world.

He'll take out anybody to achieve his goals.

Let's call him Stephen Scissorhands.

Anyway, as a dolphin, I've learned some strategies to keep myself safe. I will only talk about the female bosses because I've only had female bosses over my career, except you, Peggy, if you're reading this.

-- Don't get mad, get even. Everyone has a weakness and your job as the dolphin is to exploit that weakness. I like to sow discontent among co-workers, whip them up into a frenzy using rumors and innuendo about the boss. It is your job to make sure the boss has no allies or friends in the workplace. So when she slips up, no one will support her.

-- Become friendly with the bosses you hate the most. Charm them, flatter them, offer to buy them skinny lattes and get full fat instead.

-- Get them to confide in you, and then blab their inner hopes and dreams all over the office. I like to use the JellyBelly strategy. Always keep a dish of jellies at the ready for the boss; when she's PMSing and she will tell you everything.

-- Make sure to turn up the flattery particularly when the boss is wearing something really putrific, to make sure she wears it every week.

-- Suggest a new hair color or haircut, one which you know will reflect her ugly nature.

-- Get her to join the gym with you; make sure she forks out thousands of dollars on a service she will never use.

-- Refuse her Facebook request. Always. This may be unnecessary; she will have already have no friends once you're done with her.

These are tried and true techniques, but use them sparingly. I only use them on those deserving of the spite of others. You must verify with at least three other people that the person is a monster, moron or MOFO and it's just not you.

Go forth, dolphins. And good luck.

You will be a boss in no time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...