Skip to main content

Audit me this, Batman



It's the old "I can learn French in a year" trick, aye?

That's the rabbit our new Auditor-General of Canada, Michael Ferguson, is pulling out of his hat. Interesting. While he was A-G in New Brunswick, the guy never did manage to "parlez".

We heard the same thing here in Ottawa from our fire chief, John de Hooge, who promised he'd learn French between putting out fires on the 'hood and at city hall. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty, pretty sure that John is still an ever-loving Anglo.

Graham Fraser must be ready to throw himself into the Ottawa River. Bwah hah hah.

Despite the fact that bilingualism is a prerequisite for most jobs in Ottawa, the Prime Minister seems to like to throw that principle by the way side whenever it suits. Like when he feels like appointing an Anglo to the highest bench or, heaven for fend, appointing a director of communications who can order spaghetti in Italian at Mamma Teresa but can't get his poutine order right at the chip truck.

Frankly, I applaud the PM.

He's proven what I've always believed -- that people should get jobs because they are qualified to do them, not because they can talk perty. Language ability is a skill, like mastering HTML and unless it's absolutely necessary, it shouldn't be the deal breaker on a job interview.

And let's face it: how many times have we had to listen to higher ups at news conferences who speak English so badly they can't be understood. Like, let's see, Nycole Turmel?

But some of the appointments made by the PM have even got me scratching my head. I think the A-G should be bilingual, at least be able to speak French in order to answer questions from the media and other constituencies. Ditto for Harper's fart catcher whose job is 50 percent talking to the Francophone media.

The Supreme Court judge, well, there are enough of them on the bench to pick up the ball, but these other two appointments are strange.

Methinks this whole debacle will have an interesting effect on hiring in Ottawa. What's stopping me, say, from objecting to the fact that I can't get hired for an English writer's position because I'm not bilingual? Can't I just stand up and say: "What about that guy, that Ferguson bloke?"

"How come you can break the rules for him and not me?"

Riddle me that, Batman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...