Skip to main content

When you know better, you do better



I have a dirty little secret that I'm hiding from my family.

It's a new obsession, and I'm just waiting for someone to tell me "I told you so".

So here is my confessional.

Ever since Oprah Winfrey left her daytime show, I have been haughtily dismissing her determination to start her new network, OWN. I didn't want it to work.

I was angry. I wanted her to fail.

That's because when Oprah left, she changed my world. Every day for the past many years, I had tuned into her 4 p.m. show. It was part of my daily routine, like walking the dogs and helping the kids with their homework.

After she left, I felt the vacuum.

Kids grown, husband at work, I felt lonely.

I am a homeworker, and all day long I have no one to talk to but the dogs. Sure, there were other shows to watch -- Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Anderson Cooper -- and I do watch them.

But it hasn't been the same.

About two weeks ago, I tuned into Oprah's Lifeclass ready to hate it. I resented the fact that Oprah was going to "teach me", to offer me "homework". Who did she think she was, anyway?

I watched the first episode and I thought it was stupid. I was angry and upset. I mean, why did I care so much? It was just a television show.

Then I thought: there is something going on here. And so I gave her another chance.

Then I gave her another chance, and another.

I was fascinated.

I was watching her guests, one after another, letting go of their fears and their anger. I heard her talk about her own mistakes in a genuine manner.

And my heart started opening up. I felt like the Grinch; suddenly, my heart which was covered in a blanket of ice was warming up. Suddenly, it was getting bigger and bigger.

And here's why.

I began to see my life choices bouncing back at me from the television screen. I saw my own reflection.

And I was becoming very uncomfortable.

For years, I have been holding on to anger and resentment, to jealousy and disappointment. I knew it; I just didn't want to admit it.

But watching Lifeclass is helping me find ways to let go. To forgive myself and others.

In short, Lifeclass was giving me insight into my own life.

Suddenly, I found myself find ways of letting it all go.

I was letting down the walls.

I cannot explain it.

Two weeks in, I'm a loyal fan. I can't wait until the next episode.

Who would have thought?

It's like Oprah says: If you know better, you do better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...