Skip to main content

Video killed the radio star



Well, it seems I do have a face for radio.

I just finished my first ever radio spot, on Definitely Not the Opera on CBC radio.

The producer said I was a pro.

I'm sure she says that to all the girls.

A few weeks back, I was discovered by one of the show's producers, who found me at my old blog The $10 Life. DNTO was doing a show on things people have lost, and they realized that I was professional loser, so they wanted to hear my story. But by the time they found me, their deadline had passed.

The producer asked if I'd be interested in having my name put on their freelance list.

Would I?!

I tried unsuccessfully to contain my excitement by biting onto a nearby pug, but I'm sure she got that I was more than a little interested.

I always wondered how you got to be a CBC commentator. I've seen all manner of folks become instant stars for being masters of none, and I've always felt well qualified for the challenge.

Like the lazy armchair quarterback I am.

I must admit that I'm more of a videophile than a radio geek, but I'm willing to learn.

It's simple. You get up, throw on some clothes and hike down to the CBC building. You don't even have to brush your hair!

They put you in a guest "living room" where you play Angry Birds for a few minutes, then they whisk you into your very own booth and you talk to a nice young woman who has just bicycled to work in Winnipeg.

I want to go there.

You talk into a microphone for a few minutes and get paid for it.

I just finished an article for the Ottawa Citizen which took me two weeks to research and write and they paid me less for that than I'm making not getting dressed up to do a radio hit.

Ah hah hah hah hah.

My plan for world domination is working.

It couldn't have been easier.

Alas, it's time to get back to the real world. Shake the stardust out of my hair, feed the dogs, watch the View and have a nap.

Man, this celebrity life is a grind.

BTW, I will be on DNTO November 5. Mark your calendar. You can say you were there at the start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...