Skip to main content

The three mile diet


Going to the Ottawa Farmer's Market is like going to the casino. Even if you leave your credit cards at home, you still blow 60 bucks in half an hour.

Not only that, but you come home with some pretty expensive stuff you would never buy in the grocery store, and not much food.

Today, we snapped up lamb shanks, hot sauce, unfiltered cider vinegar, enough garlic to ostracize every single employee at National Defence Headquarters and a 20 pound bag of onions.

So, if we are very lucky we'll be able to make one meal and give everyone onion pie for Christmas.

We could have bought a mountain of vegetables for our money, but how much fun can you have with a tree of brussel sprouts, anyway?

I saw a really cute little knitted hat for Wheels, but I'd already blown my money on the St.Lucien hot sauce and the vinegar.

There you go.

So much for the three mile diet I was trying to organize.

Oh well.

It was part of an experiment we tried. We've been thinking we've been in a rutinski. Me, blogging, exercising and napping. Scott playing Batman on the PS 3.

We're out to try new activities every Sunday, yes, Virginia even church. So this was our first outing.

I liked it. I liked meeting the people -- the Glebites in their polar fleece mixing it up with the granola eating farmers wearing hand-knitted socks with their Birkies. Or was it the other way round?

Next week, if we have some coin, we're going back and have the farmers slaughter us some fancy animals for our Sunday dinner. We'll have braised elk with some strange looking cheese and organic bean soup.

And we'll insist that everyone comes dressed as an Alpaca.

How does that sound?

I feel good about supporting our local farmers.

But I have one question: where in the Ottawa Valley do they grow Niagara grapes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...