Skip to main content

Suit up



Because I work at home, I have a modest wardrobe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hanging around here in my jammies all day. I get up first thing, and go to the gym, so I'm often meandering around in nylon and lycra or yoga pants for much of the day.

Otherwise, my current fashion choices include capri pants, same ones in five different colors, two pairs of black jeans and two pairs of cotton shorts I bought at Addition Elle about ten years ago. The buggers never wear out.

But I do have a closet full of $1,000 suits which I've taken with me to three houses. There is the cashmere and wool suit that Mr. Big bought me when I was pregnant back in the eighties. He bought it at the Hotel Vancouver; I looked at the label today and the label says "Nonesuch, Hotel Vancouver lobby".

Really.

I have another suit purchased in my PMO days at a place in Ottawa called O'Shea's Market Ireland. It's an Irish walking suit with a long car coat and tailored skirt that hits just below the knee. It's still lovely.

I bought another suit in a shop located in the rural English country side near York where the actual fabric was woven and the weave was changed after five bolts to ensure that no two English woman would be seen wearing the same fabric.

I loved that.

My closet also contains a few silk blouses and skirt sets made by worms in foreign lands in vibrant reds, charcoals and clay browns.

Every once in a while, I catch myself putting my hand under their careful wrap like a randy man anxious for the feel of a woman's fine stocking.

I can't wear any of these outfits -- they are all too small in bust and hip. But I treasure them, like artifacts from olden times; they hold the DNA from my youth.

I can part with all manner of things -- jewellery, books, china -- but I have not yet been able to part with this corner of my wardrobe.

I really can't explain why.

Most women have these treasures socked away in the back of their closets. My granny had three ratty old fur coats. My mother had her wedding dress.

The suits will die with me, I am sure of that. They will be packed up and whisked away to a concession shop, or they will be dumped in the bin at Value Village.

When I'm worm food, I won't care, but I do hope they find a worthy owner, one with an appreciation for good fabric and stodgy old wools that keep the rain at bay.

I will never buy a $1,000 suit again.

I can't afford the drycleaning bills for one.

Besides, I already have a treasure trove of these suits I can visit in my closet anytime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...