Skip to main content

Starbucks: There should be meters


When it comes to the long-standing festival debate, I'm with the lawnchair people.

I absolutely hate waiting for hours for a special act, only to be toppled by a group of interlopers, armed with beer cups and errant cigarette butts, who come in at the last minute and block my view.

That is why I don't go to festivals in Ottawa.

I don't lineup for food, either. The buffett is an absolute puzzle to me. Why would I pay a hundred bucks to go to a restaurant only to have to get up and get my own food?

I believe I am not alone here.

Today, I enter the coffeehouse debate.

There is a story in today's Citizen about people who use Starbucks or Bridgehead, or any of these places as their personal offices. Thanks to somebody's bright idea, there is now WiFi in coffee places.

This means that people with nothing better to do can spend the entire afternoon sipping a cuppa cuppa, writing on their laptops and doing their homework.

There should be a law.

Two weeks ago, my cousin came to town and I invited her to the Elmvale Acres Starbucks for a gab. I only see cousin Pat once a year and it would have been nice to catch-up over a grande non-fat latte, hold the foam, about all the news.

Try finding a seat in that establishment. It's full of students and Lone Stars who somehow feel more at home in the world when surrounded by sipsters. We took a seat by the window for a while, but found ourselves blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night.

Sorry, I got carried away. Speaking of this song, didn't you think he was saying "douche" all along?

I digress.

Anyway, Pat and I got tired of getting sunstroke, so we left and found refuge at the Maple Laundromart where her husband Don was doing the laundry.

Another day, we met up at Starbucks with my old college buddy Steve. We managed to find an outdoor spot, only to be rained upon. There were no seats inside, so we drank our coffee on the sidewalk.

The sidewalk!

People.

Get a life and get out of my coffee spot.

Follow my example.

I'm writing this at home on my desk having my Starbucks latte made from pods I bought at Starbucks, swirled in my very own Starbucks coffee maker. I'd rather eat glass than try to find an uncomfortable chair amidst all the students with their books scattered everywhere.

Carleton students!

Go to the library.

A coffee shop is meant to be a place of conversation and meeting up. It's not a place to cram for the finals.

I don't mind if you bring a book, but close it up after you've finished your coffee.

Instead of WiFi, there should be meters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...