Skip to main content

Root canals are a luxury in my business



I woke with a start last night, bathed in post-menopausal sweat, fearing that the pain in my throat was coming from an abcessed tooth.

There I lay for at least an hour with the pain throbbing up from its original little ball of misery in the side of my throat into the jaw and radiating to the cheek.

As an uninsured individual, I live in fear of pain like this, the kind that requires a medical professional who is not paid by the government.

After a Motrin, the pain eased back into my throat again and I was able to relax.

False alarm.

I've had a running battle with my esophagas and the tendons in my neck area thanks to a perpetually sour stomach and a profession that requires me to sit bolt upright for hours at a time.

But that's not where the pain was coming from.

My misery was caused, it seems, but an uncharacteristic bout of over-talking.

I know. It's strange.

Being a shut-in, I rarely talk to anyone. Scott gets my attention in the evening and I can ramble on incessantly, especially after a glass or three of wine. But for the most part, I talk no more than an hour a day to humans and my trifecta of canines.

I stopped talking on the phone a few years back, preferring to text or email so I've saved my vocal chords in such a pristine condition that I could probably donate them for transplant.

This past Friday, I had to do an interview with someone in Switzerland -- the topic is, really, of no interest to anyone but audiologists -- but I found that I had strained my voice with the talking, and then I lashed my neck muscles with the writing.

You see -- did I forget to mention? -- I hardly write anymore, except for this blog. So a long period at the computer results in neck and back pain.

As I sit and write this now, my back muscles have begun to spasm, so I must soon be going.

I have only this left to say. With the downturn in my employment as a writer and interviewer has come atrophication of once athletic and animated muscles and tendons.

The resulting condition, thankfully, can be calmed by a couple of Motrin, hold the ice.

But there is something more serious afoot here.

My lack of employment has also resulted in a lack of funds for things like root canals or other emergencies, especially when new car brakes are required.

That's where my buffer went -- car repairs -- because we still need to get from here to there.

And so I live in fear.

A root canal is a luxury in my business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...