Skip to main content

Linked Out



Have you gotten any Linkedin requests lately?

Linkedin seems to be the nerd's Facebook.

A tool for bastards and boasters.

Or the guy who has resolved never, ever to be on Facebook (because in reality he doesn't have any friends outside the office or because he left his family long ago and he's too embarrassed to put it out there).

Lately, I've been getting loads of Linkedin requests. They remind me a bit of those Christmas cards folks used to send out with all the details of their fabulous lives and their perfect children. I always wanted to puke when I got those cards.

I never trusted those handmade Christmas cards, and I don't trust people to tell the truth on Linkedin.

What's the point of Linkedin anyway?

It just seems to be a resume service. And most of those resumes look a bit padded, slightly contrived to make the vitae's curriculum a little sexier than it is in reality.

Me, I'd like to write the first honest resume.

It might go something like this.

Rose Simpson
Ottawa, Ontario

Education: High school, four years of Carleton Journalism School which I never completed because I got a job.

Employment: 1977-1979 Ottawa Journal
Got my first honest to goodness newspaper job, then the paper folded, I was out on my arse, and thereupon took the first job I was offered.

1979-1980 Ottawa Citizen
Freelance music writer making $70 a week getting drunk in local bars. I might have tried cocaine once. Had to read my column the next day to see what I wrote.

1980-1984 Political fartcatcher
Skills developed: Drinking without puking; flirting with abandon; fornicating often unwisely; fudging expense accounts to make it look like I was working. Mastering obfuscation. Some writing was involved.

1984-1994: Wife of
Skills developed: breastfeeding; arts and crafts; mastering mundane cocktail conversation with idiots and their wives; packing and unpacking; selling houses for far less than they were worth. Some writing was involved when boredom set in.

1994-2004: Ex-wife of
Skills developed: handwringing, creative accounting; anger management; and finally successful litigation. Some writing was required by the court.

2004-present. Not much.

References: You're kidding, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...