Skip to main content

Let's not turn Jamie Hubley into a folk hero



A few years ago, my kids lost one of their friends, Michelle, to suicide.

Michelle had been a fixture in our household throughout high school. She was a sweet girl, a troubled girl. I have picture of Michelle from when she graduated from Hillcrest High School in my photo album.

Michelle died just a year later, just barely twenty, found hanging, a red ribbon wrapped around her neck.

My kids all attended her funeral. My son Nick had a tattoo emblazoned on his arm as a tribute to a life cut far too short.

The story of Michelle bothered me for years. I found myself going to her Facebook site, reading the comments. It felt goulish, but I couldn't look away. I felt almost ashamed.

My experience with Michelle's death informs what I'm about to say.

When a friend or a child dies by their own hand, we all share private grief and wonder why it had to happen. We all want the answers that we will never know. But at some point, it's time to move on and celebrate the other good people in our lives, and embrace the time God has given us on the Earth.

I am very troubled by the outpouring of media surrounding the death of Jamie Hubley, who by all accounts was loved by his parents and his friends, but who was unable to fight his own private demons.

There has been much debate over Jamie's death. Was it the result of bullying? Of him having difficulty dealing with being gay? Of his requited dream of realizing romantic love in his life?

We will never know.

Whatever the reason Jamie killed himself, he is now gone and it's time for all of us -- especially the media -- to move on to another cause.

His memory is being used to further other peoples' agendas and it is just wrong.

It is also wrong to turn Jamie into a folk hero.

He was not. He was an ordinary boy with problems that nobody could fix.

He should not be sketched as a relatable character for other young people who have similar thoughts. As the Canadian Psychiatric Association states in its position paper on media and suicide, publicity of this kind encourages others with dark thoughts to look to suicide as a way out.

This phenomenon is called suicidal ideation.

It romanticizes the subject.

It makes it seem cool, even right, to want to kill oneself.

This is the last time I will write on this subject, and I hope that the media will finally lay Jamie and his legacy to rest.

It's a sad story, made even sadder by portraying Jamie as a martyr to the cause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...