Skip to main content

Hoarder with no left foot



I just got back from hauling Doris out of the Ottawa Hospital.

What a bunch of maroons.

They've been trying to kick her and her broken foot out for the past three days, even though she is not able to care for herself or her husband. Turns out, Bob has rallied and is now able to take ParaTranspo to do some shopping, though he hasn't quite figured out how to order his ride.

That makes me feel slightly better, but I'm still worried that they won't be able to make it without some kind of care.

Anyway, the hospital told Doris they were sending her home with a wheel chair and that physio would be at their place next week to help her with negotiating life as a hoarder with no left foot.

So I got to the hospital and we waited around for her wheelchair to arrive.

And waited.

Finally, I went to the nursing station, who called physio who told Doris that she'll have to wait until next week to get the wheelchair delivered -- this poor elderly woman who is not supposed to put any weight on her foot.

So the challenge became this: how do I, her reasonably strong and fit "daughter" -- that's what the nurses were calling me -- get my little friend into her apartment building which has no wheelchair access.

"Maybe I can bum my way up the stairs," Doris suggested.

The physio went white.

"No, Doris, you absolutely cannot put any weight on that foot. I'm not sure what you're going to do. Sorry about that."

And with that, I ran around the hospital looking for a porter because the nurse was too damned lazy to find one -- they were all drinking coffee in the lobby -- and got Doris to her building. I had crutches she cannot use and a walker that can't get her up the stairs and my two little arms.

Fortunately, I found a bunch of good ole boys who were moving in.

One of them carried Doris up the stairs while I ran upstairs for Bob's fancy walker, the one with the seat which allowed me to push her into the elevator.

What nice young men.

It's always nice to know you can count on the kindness of strangers.

You certainly can't count on the competence of weekend hospital staff.

So Doris will wait until next week to get mobile. I'm thinking she's going to have to crawl to the bathroom, where she fell in the first place.

The scene of the crime.

Let's hope Doris doesn't fall again.

This time I'm telling her to call 9-1-1.

At least the paramedics know what they're doing.

Even the ones who work weekends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...