Skip to main content

Evil, thy name is Costco



Costco is an evil place.

I mean, how ridiculous is it to pay a vendor $100 just to shop at their store? Ditto for Direct Buy.

I've often thought that going to Costco was like going to the Rideau Carleton Slots. People have the same zombie-like stares are they meander through aisles and aisles of SWAG, or in their case, Stuff We All Don't Need. Then they come out into the parking lot with 100 unit boxes of candy bars, hot dogs the size of nuclear missiles, and nativity scenes that could fill the entire city of Jerusalem.

I, myself, am a slave to Costco. I've spent the budgets of some Third World countries at Costco some years, so I've had to learn to be frugal.

My strategy is simple: just buy the fresh stuff and you can't go wrong. I mean, you can only eat so many strawberries and so much salad right?

But a three-pack of mustard, well, that will last into the next ice age.

Anderson Cooper had a show on yesterday which presented strategies for shopping at Costco and, since most of you have lives and probably didn't see it, I offer you the following tips.

Don't take a cart. Try to hold on to everything you need until you get to the cash. This is not only a good money-saving plan, it's also an opportunity to get some weight lifting done in the middle of the day.

Shop the middle aisles because that's where the loss leaders are. The best buys are in seasonal where Costco is virtually giving things away. At Christmas, wait until December 1 to shop. That's when Costco slashes its prices.

If you're looking for sales, look at the price. If it ends with 97 cents, apparently, the product is on sale at close to cost.

Finally, buy the Kirkland brand, which is just as good as the name brand but much, much, much cheaper.

I have my own tips for Costco.

First, watch out for tour buses. Two summers ago, Scott and I had our Subaru run over in the parking lot by a tour bus from my old home town of St. Catharines. I mean, it was literally run over like one of those monster truck demonstrations.

Second, avoid anyone speaking a language not your own including folks who speak this country's second official language. You take your life into your hands getting between a foreign speaker and a bargain.

Third, if you value your heart health, avoid the meat department. I'm not sure who's buying the whole cows they sell in shrink wrap, but I'm pretty sure it's the guy who will be in the bed next to you at the Ottawa Heart Institute.

Finally, if you're buying books, leave your cart in the clothing aisle. I can't believe how many carts I've had to climb over to get to the new Maeve Benchley. People, move before I have to shoot someone.

You always know when you've spent too much money in a year at Costco.

They send you a cheque.

A reward for being a materialistic, aggressive, gourmand with a heart the size of Texas. Literally.

Hope this advice helps.

I'm here all week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...