Skip to main content

Body imperfect



The rowing machine at the gymnasty gives me a bird's eye view of everyone's figure flaws.

There is an elliptical machine that sits in front of me, and when I look up I see all manner of shapes and sizes.

Like the unfortunate girl with the tiny little torso and the huge bottom. She could come on Hallowe'en dressed as a deformed apple.

Or the skinny fellow who looks like he's swallowed a giant marshmallow which has lodged in his midriff.

Or even the perfectly coiffed, pony-tail sporting Lou Lou Liz Lemon whose buttocks looks like a loaf of unbaked bread.

God love 'em. As Freddie Mercury once crooned: "Big bottomed girls, they make the world go round."

No one should be afraid to go to the gym. There is always someone who is worse off.

I see one guy every day -- he looks like a Carleton philosophy professor -- whose leg looks like it's been mangled by a rabid dog.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a little person who stood only two feet tall all dressed for success headed for the yoga gravity tent.

And then there was the guy who must have been five hundred pounds who could only do an upper body workout -- but he was still there, doing his best.

I was struck last week by a young man who came in with a pretty serious cast on his foot. He looked like an injured basketball player, and he wandered around the gym for a good half hour before he settled on an upper body spinning contraption. I felt bad for the guy.

In the pool area, there is a cross section of humanity and camel toe, one roll, three rolls, four rolls you get eggrolls. Then there are the Muslim women who enter the pool fully dressed.

It's all good.

Whenever I go to the gymnasty, I feel lucky to be alive. Lucky to be healthy enough to spend an hour working out on pretty serious machinery. At 55, thanks to the gym, I'm healthier than I was at age 35.

And I'm inspired.

Inspired by the 80 year olds who are there everyday: Jean in her fuschia leotard; Joe in his pastel polyester work out pants.

And I'm even more inspired by all the people who have the courage to come to the gym with less than perfect bodies, with less than perfect health.

Like the commercial says: it's a good life; open up your eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...