Skip to main content

The Adventures of Dani Canuck



When I heard that Chatelaine had named Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail its "Maverick of the Year," I ran out to get my copy of its Women of the Year special edition.

I've known Danielle since she was a wee girl swimming in her family swimming pool. I've watched with interest as she has grown into a wonderful young woman, full of chutzpah and confidence.

She's already published her first book, For the Love of Flying, a history of Laurentian Air. She's also managed to convince a bunch of cynical old air geeks to install her as the first female president of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society.

Right now, she's hard at work on a historical novel about a female bush pilot in the 1930s, and I'm told she's also working a personal project -- the first grandchild of Mary and Jacques.

Danielle wrote a highly amusing blog, The Adventures of Dani Canuck, in which she describes her travels around Canada's great North. Last year, she did a stint living as a writer-in-residence at Berton House up in the Yukon. I particularly enjoyed her tale of tossing back some horrible hooch containing the dessicated toe of some old fellar.

Danny didn't flinch. Like most air geeks, she must have the intestinal fortitude of a carborator.

I'm not surprised that Dani Canuck has soared into the literary stratosphere making friends with Charlotte Gray among others, and I won't be surprised when, one day, she wins a few of those Can-Lit prizes.

Star quality, that's what the girl has.

She is her mother's daughter after all. Mary saved my sorry career more than once in this lifetime by throwing me work when I had none. She is disciplined, highly organized and successful and she has been one of the most likeable consultants to wander the halls of the government bureaucracy. She's a rare breed.

Mary was great to work for, but she was a tough taskmaster for lazy loafs like me. All of the work leaving Mary's office had to be properly paginated, grammatically-correct and lovely to look at -- even if the topic was some dry as bones environment scan or research report.

I'm sure it wasn't always easy for Danielle in the household of Mary and Jacques. Mary is a great mom but I'm sure she took very little teenage crap from her only daughter. Thankfully, Jacques was there for comic relief.

Like my own daughter, Danielle has it all. She's married to her childhood sweetheart, a successful engineer who has spirited her away to the West, she has a wonderful heart, the spirit of adventure, the sense of wonder that is the core ingredient in a good writer.

And she has a great sense of family.

I feel myself privileged to know Dani Canuck and the wonderful Metcalfe-Chenail family.

I wish Danielle every success for the future.

Yeah.

Like she needs any encouragement.

Comments

  1. Blushing here... Must be the cold wind outside, eh! Hugs right back, Rosie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...