Skip to main content

Adventures in health care



I was in severe pain yesterday from an unidentified throat injury, so I decided to pay a visit to my local clinic, where I was refused treatment.

The dumbass on the front desk -- who admitted to being a nubie -- told me my health card had expired. Immediately, I thought I had destroyed the wrong card, so I left the clinic, more than a little mad and embarrassed.

I renewed my card last July along with my driver's license, but I hadn't used it, being adverse to medical intervention of any sort. I knew I received a new card, so spent about two hours scouring the house. Alas, no health card in sight.

So I sat on my Ekornes chair with a glass of red to dull the throbbing pain and felt sorry for myself. Then I thought, wait a nanosecond! The picture on the health card is exactly the same as the one on my driver's license, so THEREFORE...

I picked up the card and sure enough, it was my new, non-expired health card with the date 2015 on it.

Should I have noticed this at the doctor's office and argued?

Yes, but the decision to visit the doctor's office was made at the spur of the moment -- on a wine run to the LCBO which is next door. I hadn't brought my reading glasses so I had no way of knowing whether what the dumbass had said was right.

By the time I donned my glasses, it was too late. The clinic was closed.

So I sit here today in pain that might have been eased by an antibiotic last night.

Meanwhile, in another part of town, Marissa had a bad headache and stiff neck, so she went to the emergency room where she and Jeff waited the usual six hundred hours before being seen.

"Eek," said the resident. "It looks like you have meningitis."

And with that, Marissa received her first ever SPINAL TAP.

She didn't have meningitis, of course, maybe just a virus, so they sent her home in painful agony, thanks to the six foot needle they stuck in her spine to drain out fluid.

Did they figure out what was wrong? Or did they give her any drugs?

Nope.

And down the road, Doris is languishing in her schwetty little apartment without the benefit of any home care, with nearly-dead Bob schlepping to the store to buy her food. There would be no therapy as promised by the CCAC because she didn't need it.

Really, they just needed the hospital bed so they made up a bunch of shoddy health care lies to get her out on her keister and badly broken foot.

Socialized medicine. Gotta love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...