Skip to main content

The Amy Winehouse Lost Tapes

While I'm on the subject of Amy Winehouse, I find it unbelievable that rocks stars and other famous folk, people like Ronnie Wood and Kelly Osbourne, are expressing "shock" at her death.

It's not like it was Justin Bieber or Donnie Osmond.

We're talking a woman who has been photographed walking through the streets of London with blood all over her feet and track marks on her arms. I went looking for a photograph of Amy, and, in the first one I found, she was sucking on a bong like it was a Jet Pop.

All the Hollywood rag shows are quoting stars, who have never met the darling girl, about what a great talent she was. They all say what a tragedy it was and they "knew she had problems".

Images of Amy shooting up, falling down, vomiting, bleeding from a variety of orifices and dribbling coke out her nose have already filled an entire hard-drive over at TMZ. That, obviously, is beside the point.

People! She was a junkie.

In her last recorded appearance, Amy is standing on a stage with another musical starlet, weaving back and forth and trying to sing a chorus. She didn't appear to know where she was.

There have been literally hundreds of Amy Winehouses who have found themselves on the wrong side of needle, and there will be many more. Like them, Amy didn't have much of a catalogue, so I'm sure the musicologists will be combing You Tube and music studios from here to Barbados looking for the "lost Amy Winehouse tapes" but from what I've seen, most will involve her sitting on a toilet or using it for alternative purposes.

With Back to Black, she was a one trick pony, another wannabee who has now turned into used-to-be.

The music industry can be a hard taskmaster for people who are not prepared for its pitfalls. But I'm thinking Amy was already on a slow boat outta here before she reached the age of majority.

Her greatest hit, it turned out, was her addiction.

It is, ultimately, what made her famous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...