Skip to main content

Ashley Simpson: Time for Some Good Simpson Luck




Over the past four years, I've taken an amazing virtual journey to hell and back with my cousins John and Cindy. It started with a Facebook post from John's sister, Julie Major.
Her niece, Ashley, had disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, British Columbia. 
I didn't know I had a cousin named Ashley. I didn't even know I had a cousin named John.
Over these past few years, I've gotten to know them very well; they allowed me into the inner sanctum of their family and their pain. They gave me the privilege of telling Ashley's story warts and all.
The journey has been horrendous at times. It's difficult watching people you care about sit with a pain that never leaves them, to see them leaning toward the phone waiting for police calls, to worry that John would get into a fight with a boyfriend that didn't call the police for a week after Ashley left him.
It was always something. John qualified for EI under a relatively obscure provision that allows parents of murdered children a leave of absence from work, only to have it taken away because he left the province to go to B.C. to go look for her. 
He had a good summer gig at a resort ripped away from him by a tornado that literally lifted the roof off the old log house.
It's always something. 
I worry about the health of both John and Cindy.
Last week, John was working on a ship, and suddenly, he was gripped with unfathomable pain. He could barely walk or sit. Hours later, he went under the knife for a perforated colon. Cindy had to drop everything and meet him in Goderich, where they will stay for a week while John gets used to a colostomy bag he will have to wear for months.
Cindy has had her own health troubles. A little while back, she had emergency surgery for a nearly burst appendix. Now she's looking at more tests in the coming days.
Like me, Cindy and John don't have full time jobs. They work with ships on the Welland Canal cooking for crews. Their livelihood will be put on hold for a while til they get back on their feet. More money going out than coming in.
With all that's happened, I so admire their strength in the face of adversity. They continue to fundraise for Murdered and Missing Women, and shelters in Niagara. They might have to miss the 4th Annual Ashley Simpson golf tourney this month, thought it is fortunately in the capable hands of daughter Amanda and Ashley's friends.
The Simpsons would give the shirts off their back for their kids and grandkids.
And Ashley is always hovering in the background. Out of sight, but never out of mind.
She haunts us still. She whispers in our ears. 
Never give up. Never.
Ashley has been sitting on my shoulder in the past few days.
I wrote a television pitch for a documentary open call for proposals.
I thought of Ashley. And John. And Cindy.
In spite of my own fears, and feelings of inadequacy, I found the strength to plow through the paperwork. Last Wednesday, I pressed send.
An hour after that I got the news that John was sick.
Oh no, I thought. Covid-19.
We can't lose John, too. 
"I've never been in so much pain my entire life," he wrote me.
"We need you," I wrote back. "We have to get back to Salmon Arm in the spring."
Gladly, he didn't have Covid, just a really annoying and painful bathroom issue.
Maybe it's a sign.
Maybe good luck is about to come his way.
It's time for some Good Simpson Luck for a change.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein