Skip to main content

Ground Control to Julie Payette: #TimesUp



Embed from Getty Images
We can talk around the subject of whether Canada needs a Governor-General anymore, but there is no question that the current G-G has to go.
Julie Payette might be a world leading voice in science, medicine, space travel and so on, but she obviously sucks at human relations. According to a CBC report, Payette spends her days plucking the wings off her employees, and reduces them to puddles in the parking lot. 
Nothing these employees do matters. None of them are worthy, their work is shoe-pucky, and only she is able to fulfill all the duties of the Office of the Governor-General. So she tears up their stuff, berates them for hours on planes where they are held captive for hours, and gives them a twenty-question quiz on space.
Word, Your Excellency! The Governor-General has no jurisdiction in space.
The job of the Governor-General is to smile, wave and make nice with Canadians, pin medals on their chests, eat over-priced food made specifically to her liking, and give speeches. (I wonder how much she's actually doing during the pandemic since she can only give speeches to 10 people which means she's pretty much talking to her staff right now.)
After reading this story, I am wistful for days of old when Ray Hnatyshyn was G-G. I remember once patting him on the butt and asking in serious journalistic fashion, "Boxers or briefs?"
"Depends on the day," he chortled. 
It's true, Ray didn't go to space. He was just a small time lawyer and former politician from Saskatchewan, but he understood people. And he was kind. And wonderful. And he cared about Canada.
Ditto David Johnston, the predecessor to JP who also did not go to space. But he was a constitutional expert, and had a level of expertise that could prove useful for the Queen's representative in Canada.
But Johnston didn't challenge his staff to take tests about the constitution. He smiled, he waved, he gave speeches, and he cared about Canada.
Johnston was, in fact, our version of Mr. Rogers and Canada was his neighbourhood.
I never had a problem with the idea of having a Governor-General. It is a tradition, nice to have, but not necessary in a time when we face a future with Charles and Camilla, Harry and Meghan. I never gave much thought to it.
But now, I'm really pissed off and I want Her Excellency pack up her lab stuff, fold up her racing bike and clear out. Rideau Gate would make a nice new home for Justin and Sophie, a little far away from the gates for their own safety.
It makes me even more angry that Payette is a woman.
She should know better than to treat people like human garbage.
Don't get me wrong; I don't hold women to a higher standard.
But I do hold them to the same standard as men who get these plum assignment.
I know that Chris Hadfield would have made a better Governor-General than you. Not because he's male, but because he possesses the right stuff to do the job.
He's kind, he cares about Canada. But most of all, he's humble. 
If you can't treat your staff they way you would treat your mother, who knows how you'll treat total strangers? Maybe she cares about Canada, but clearly, Payette doesn't care about Canadians.
She is unkind, uncouth, unrepentant.
If she'd been a manager at the CBC, she'd be gone yesterday.
I'm thinking the Prime Minister needs to give her notice. 
Change the locks.
Sorry, G-G, #YourTimeIsUp. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein