Skip to main content

My First Dentist

You never forget your first, right?
Mine was a man who resembled a toad who forced me as a six-year-old to sit in his chair with a slobbering bulldog atop me while he chiseled and pulled my beloved baby teeth. I seemed to have a lot of cavities that needed to be filled, even though most of my later life was spent cavity-free. He was a welfare dentist so I assume he took advantage of a golden mouth. 
He also scheduled me for two operations, one to remove my tonsils, and another to have my wisdom teeth removed, in the hospital, at the tender age of 15.
That wasn't the worst of it.
Even as a tiny tot, I recoiled as he pulled back his liver-like lips into a slimy smile and insisted that I hug him. Then he gave me a toy, as if to reward me for having to put my arms around his girth.
Uh, just thinking about this eel today makes my skin crawl.
My worst experience came after I broke my front teeth playing dodgeball in Grade Eight. I was literally in shock when I went to see him, mortified that I had ruined my perfectly straight and white smile. His solution was to put these, I don't even know what to call them, "protectors" on my broken teeth. They had gold rims and bisected my teeth, leaving the bottom part filled in with porcelain.
My brother's joked that my teeth looked like the McDonald's Golden Arches.
I was forced to wear these horrors all through high school. I refused to smile in any of the school photos, and they definitely affected my self-esteem.
Worse, before he put them on, he shaved down my once beautiful pair into little pegs -- with no anesthetic or freezing. 
I never when back to this horrible dentist, but he left his mark on me -- literally.
Since then, I've had a spotty relationship with the profession.
When I was eighteen, my rowing coach turned out to be a dentist. Dave was a great guy, and convinced me to get rid of the Golden Arches, and he fixed me up with a beautiful pair of porcelain fake teeth. That, and he gave me gas.
I loved the gas, but still hated the dentist chair.
I have visited the dentist, on and off, sporadically ever since, depending on whether or not I had dental insurance. When I did, I was in all the time for cleanings. I loved the feel and look of perfectly cleaned teeth and really, I didn't mind the pain and suffering.
After my husband left me, he continued to give my kids top notch dental care, but stripped me of my benefits, so I really didn't see a dentist for years.
The last time, in fact, I went to a dentist was in 2007 -- 12 years ago!
In July, I broke a tooth while on vacation, and last week, I forced myself to schlepp into the local dentist's office. I expected the usual dressing down, and stern looks, but instead I was met with a kind hygienist who treated me with kid gloves. She understood I had a lot of, let's say, dental baggage, and she took her time scaling and polishing. The x-rays were encouraging. I need two crowns for broken teeth, which isn't too bad. The rest of my teeth are remarkably in good shape.
The old crowns, the ones Dave put on some 45 years ago, are holding tight, though they still look like they did when I was 18. The others are darker, and make it obvious that my top two are fakes. This makes me feel uncomfortable smiling once again, and I largely keep my mouth shut during photo shoots. I'm considering some cosmetic stuff down the road so I can look like Joe Biden. We'll see if I can raise the capital. 
Tomorrow, I will see the dentist to fill the broken tooth. I'm not nervous thanks to that lovely hygienist.
And I don't see a bull dog anywhere.
I'll take that as a good sign. 
Though if he asks for a hug, I'll punch him in the mouth.




Comments

  1. Hi Rose.
    I can easily empathize with you. Freezing had no effect on my teeth but just made me a slobbering mess. I told my dentist not to bother. He loved that. He would punch you in the stomach just to say hello. He's dead now but I later learned he had been forced to retire due to practice issues. It took twenty years for me to find out that I had a secondary nervous system that needed to be blocked to stop my pain. Unfortunately, the shot could also stop my respiration. I hate dentists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein