Skip to main content

The Politics of Joy


Those young whipper snappers who run with Justin Trudeau might think that they invented the politics of joy in Canada.

They would be wrong.

We did.

Yesterday, I met up with my former colleagues from the Trudeau Liberal era. I haven't seen these bad actors for 30 years, and I haven't laughed so long and hard as I did last night in all that time.

We all worked together for a few years for the Liberal Party of Canada at a time when you were never quite sure your paycheque would be honored. These were ugly times in the early 80s after Pierre was resurrected, and before his walk in the snow. These were the days of endless wrangling over the patriation of the Constitution, Trudeau's quest for peace, and the boneheadedness of the National Energy Program.

My job was to write the propaganda that was sent out to the Liberal "militants' in the form of the badly monikered ad Lib newspaper. I would write lies, half-truths, nosestretchers, anything that would sell the Liberal brand. I also wrote fundraising letters and received the odd amuse-bouche from the electorate, such as one photograph of a constituent giving his contribution to the Liberal Party in a manner that would get him arrested in a park.

It wasn't a hard job, not even a great job, but it was made much better by all the clown hats I worked with. We had a hell of a time, and we all loved our jobs. And we were true believers in the brand even when others wanted to throttle us.

Othmar, on the left, was the broadcast director. He managed the television spots that all parties were allowed to run after the late news. He was most famous for a photograph -- I wish I had it -- which appeared in the newspapers during a Liberal convention in Winnipeg. The hotel caught fire, and Othmar rushed out onto the street wearing nothing but a small towel.

Viggo, in the middle, ran the Liberal Party print shop, and supervised a gaggle of Canary Row-themed characters. He was indeed an ink-stained wretch.

Man, we had a ball. Politics wasn't as serious as it is now. People from all parties used to congregate at the press club and get hammered any number of days of the week. I'm not sure how we all got home.

We are now a bit smarter, a little more humble. But there's no bullshit in this group. We all know each other's dirty laundry and we're ok with it.

It was just what I needed after a horrific health week. It made me feel 25 again.

Thanks guys, needed that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein